Love 'em or hate 'em...Baofengs are going up in price due to tariffs...

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K7JOE, Jul 11, 2018 at 8:32 PM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. W5INC

W5INC Ham Member QRZ Page

There is 1 thing for sure Mr. Pat, you will never be confused with the "general public". From your unique wit, great ability to spin a yarn and your prowess of being the Radio Doctor, you certainly don't deserve to be included in the general public rank! :)

2. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh, the irony........

Who are the "Big Three" you mention? Icom, Kenwood, Yaesu, right?

I have been a ham so long I remember when it was rare to see ANYTHING in an American's ham shack that wasn't "Made In USA".

I remember the hams of the time saying things like this:

No skin off my nose. I know it can't be avoided completely, but I steer clear of Japanese junk whenever possible. Cheap Japanese stuff is going to be the death of good equipment. Every cheap radio you buy from them just makes it harder on Collins, Drake, Heathkit and the rest.

One of these days they'll exit the market due to lack of profitability.

While they're not perfect, they're a picnic compared to consumer stuff from Japan, and purchase of that garbage just enables the thieves who likely steal most of their designs.

I don't care what the excuse is, having a cheap "truck radio/bass boat radio/kickin around the garage radio", I'll take $300 US-made over a $200 knockoff with an unreadable manual any day of the week. Some money just isn't worth saving."

Stuff like that.

And then, just a few years later, Kenwoods, Icoms and Yaesus were everywhere. One by one, the American rigmakers all disappeared - except for Ten Tec, which first appeared about 1968.

I was there, I saw it happen.

KD0TLS and VK4FFAB like this.
  3. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

No it isn't. It's accurate. The stories I posted links to are true - and relevant to the subject. The recently imposed tariffs are doing much more harm than good.

AE0Q likes this.
  4. W5INC

What is even more idiotic about this whole subject, are the dumb consumers here in America that pay over 900.00 dollars for an I phone. The I phone probably cost less to produce, then the Baofengs do. Yet as long as the American consumer has the latest electronic doo dad in their hands, all is "Right" here in the USA. Over 100 million cellular phones were sold in the USA in 2017, how many Baofengs were sold during that same time period?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018 at 2:16 PM
  5. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

nah, those guys don't care. Received signal strength is just as much a function of the receiver's antenna/radio than it is the transmitter's - probably more than...
    I dont care what type of radio a ham uses - i care only about their operating practices and attitude.

VK4FFAB likes this.
  6. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

The way I see it is if they don't remain profitable and cost competitive in the US consumer market, they go bust.

Of course one way for these electronics manufacturers to get around these "bad tariffs" which is going to affect their profitability is to start manufacturing their electronic doo dads here in the US instead.

Believe it or not, that's actually starting to look like a more favorable business prospect for some of these overseas manufacturers.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018 at 2:37 PM
    N4NYK and KA4DPO like this.
  7. KA3CTQ

KA3CTQ Ham Member QRZ Page

That is how is starts.

Next you are begging on the corner to get that old Kenwood at a ham fest. That plunges you into a new high of HF.

The step after that is rolling bums for change to get that 50 ft tower and a yagi to go into that dark area of DX chasing.

Lastly, you are compromising your moral fiber doing things I cannot type. This all in the effort to get the latest Icom offering. All the menus and buttons have you hooked with the promise of escape from the every day doldrums.

Sorry, there is no 12 step program to get out of this addiction.

AC8UN, W4WTS and KQ9J like this.
  8. KD9HLC

KD9HLC Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know how to talk this without sounding like a political discussion, but here goes.

You're probably familiar with the various takes on all the positions re free trade, mercantilism, protectionism, globalism, and there are a lot of well reasoned opinions on those on all sides of the debate.

That said, most business plans are based on a set of assumptions about many factors, including tax implications in the various jurisdictions involved. When one government suddenly changes those tariff, duty, and tax structures, it throws a wrench into those plans. And that wrench will pretty much always hurt more than it helps. In the long run, the business plans will adapt to the new assumptions. But no government changes to the assumptions will be pain free even if they meet their well intended long term goals. So, yeah, some businesses aren't going to like it, and others will. I don't think that really tells us whether or not these actions are good ideas; it may take decades to find out, and even then there are so many other factors that it will be difficult to quantify what the actual effects of a given policy were.

A brief comment on throwing things away versus fixing them. In general, I'll try to fix things, because it's fun. But when a replacement is less expensive than a repair tech's time, which is pretty much true for anything under $100, then it doesn't make sense to get something fixed.

And as for iPhones being as cheap to make as BF HT, a quick look at the BOM will dissuade one of that notion quickly, starting with the display, the processor, the camera, (they forgot to put a camera in my HT), the battery, and so on.

WD4IGX likes this.
  9. N3HGB

N3HGB Ham Member QRZ Page

I get the theory of cheap Chinese stuff and have an added twist:
    What it kills is the middle. The buyer who wants a $1500 radio that can survive being run over by a submarine after being dropped out of an airplane will never look at Baofeng. The buyer who needs a cheap radio that he won't miss when he drops it overboard will never look to more expensive brands.
    What happens is that the buyer looking at $150 or $300 radios suspects they really are the same as a Baofeng but with better manuals. He will abandon the big three for the cheap guys.
    I didn't do this, I have expensive radios, but I wanted to see what I could make a $30 radio do. That is the end result for a lot of things, everyone suspects it is ALL Chinese crap and some is better disguised. Actually IMHO after getting all kinds of cheap Fleabay meters and so on it isn' that it is bad, it is the stuff is erratic. Overall with everything I have about a 66% hit rate.

10. W5INC

You are leaving out the economy of scales factor in your posting here, I believe. Far more I phones are produced in a week, then the amount of Baofengs are produced in a year, I reckon. When you are buying the parts for millions of I phones the costs of these individual pieces drops like a rock when compared to buying them 1 piece at a time, like the end consumer does here in the USA. :)

PS. It did cost a lot for Apple to put up those suicide prevention nets around the I phone factory didn't it? We must factor this cost in to the I phone also. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018 at 2:55 PM