Love 'em or hate 'em...Baofengs are going up in price due to tariffs...

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K7JOE, Jul 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. K7JOE

K7JOE Ham Member QRZ Page

Several ham retailers are touting "pre-tariff" pricing on Baofeng and other chinese origin transceivers. While supplies last.... No politics - Just the facts.

Baofengs and end-feds... two phenomenon of the cb-to-extra in a day modern day realities of ham radio!!!

https://ig.ft.com/us-china-tariffs/

2. W5TTW

W5TTW Ham Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I ordered the $49 FT8 only DimSum transceiver from China a few weeks ago. Fully automated, unattended operation. (Except for uploading the .adi to LOTW.) Can't wait for it to arrive!

N0DZQ, K7JOE and KA4DPO like this.
  3. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow, that's a lot of troll-bait for a single thread. :eek:

K4AGO, M0REU, N2NH and 2 others like this.
  4. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Only one? Didn't you know? "With 6, You Get Eggroll!" :rolleyes:

K9ASE likes this.
  5. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

With all due respect, I'm a "20-WPM Extra" since 1997, and a ham since 1974. My primary mode is CW - does that make me legitimate enough?

I own a number of Baofengs - all around my property (barn, garage, shop, truck, etc.) - a helluva lot cheaper to lose falling into brambles or a puddle than a amartphone when yakking with my wife (also a ham). We use them as a property-wide "intercom system" to stay in touch while I'm doing chores.

My first meaningful antenna in 1975 was a 75' "end fed" wire, and I used one for a number of years thereafter, including in 1997 when I lived in a condo and needed something stealth. In all three cases, I had no other options available but managed to work the world, on CW, as a General, and later an Extra (20-WPM sort of Extra, since that appears to matter to you)

I get tired of these insulting sorts of posts implying that anyone who would use a Baofeng or an end-fed antenna are "Extra in a day".

Give it a rest. This is just a troll post, IMO.

Dave
    W7UUU

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    K4AGO, K1XS, VE3FI and 26 others like this.
  6. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Ew, another 60's movie trying to pretend that the 60's weren't happening. :oops:

7. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm curious Dave
    There is a "Report" button on each post. If you click on the button you get a screen, a fill the reason for reporting the post.

So, here's the question.... If you were to fill in the box with "This is a blatant trolling post" - would the Mods lock or remove the post?

8. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It's simply a discussion. Troll posts are not usually a cause to lock a thread. I fully know how the "report" function works. But IMO this thread is not in the "report" category.

My reply is in response to the ludicrous claim that apparently only "Extra in a day" hams would deign to use a Baofeng or an end-fed antenna.

No reason to "report" his post. But at the same time, I'm not going to sit by and not coment that it's just trollish, insulting, and not accurate.

Dave
    W7UUU

K4AGO, KL7KN, KD8OSD and 8 others like this.
  9. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd like to be an extra in a day, so far my searches in Cracker Jack boxes have been futile.
    A Baofung would just be another unused ht radio lying around here although one with am/fm and a flashlight does intrigue me......
    I hung up a end fed wire and used it for a bit, it was meh. I was into "roll your own" antennas for a bit but soon discovered I was no William Orr.

N2BMM, AC8UN and AF7XI like this.
  10. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Heck, you could just have 'em talk to each other and rack up the QSOs!

Please tell me the FT8 only fully automated $49 transceiver is a joke. Please?

N2NH likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.