lotw

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by VK4QO, Nov 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W7AV

W7AV Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I submitted a short list to LOTW on 11-11-2012 and still nothing on 11-17-2012. I know the ARRL is the only real organization that represents amateur radio in the U.S. and we most certainly need them. I support their efforts, though I have not always been in agreement with their decisions. That said, LOTW is a disappointment and it's getting worse. Their DXCC card checking is painfully slow, around 6 weeks turnaround time even with inputting our own data with on-line applications. 20 years ago it was 8 weeks, no big improvement with all the advances in technology (I know bigger work load). The local volunteer card checkers work hard to process cards, but still the long waits once submitted. I'm a DX'er, that what interests me, so maybe they are great in other areas, but as far as I'm concerned the ARRL is failing me. No more extra contributions ($250 last year) from this end. Are they getting too top heavy with salaries?? What's happening?

2. AC9EX

AC9EX Ham Member QRZ Page

I just tried to upload 10 QSO's and the software (HRD) locked up. so I tried to go to login on the LOTw site and got the error message"too many users" is LOTW still down? or again? This is proving to be unreliable, me thinks they need a solution quick! And I was under the assumption that not enough Hams used LOTW.

73 KB9VUP
    Todd

3. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

or you might give them the benefit of the doubt they are doing the best anyone can with a process that is virtually meaningless except to a small, obscure bunch of people who have some compelling need to prove their achievements to other people.

Nothing personal. I don't know you but as a general comment here about this thread, it's so easy to sit on the sideline and complain...

If anyone really needs that kind of validation, put the cards (or your logbook) up on the wall and look at them/it.

4. W7AV

W7AV Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

May I ask WHO ARE YOU----validation, nothing personal. What are you? YOU JUDGE ME!!!!!!!!!!!! How dare you!!!!!!!!

5. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't think that they deserve the benefit of the doubt since incentive licensing!! Now days the emcomm thing is their big joke to push.
    DXCC and such always gets beat up by those such as yourself who just are not interested or just can't work much anyway. It is hardly as you say "virtually meaningless except to a small, obscure bunch of people who have some compelling need to prove their achievements to other people."
    Certainly not a small obscure bunch by any means judging from the pileups, the amount of cards exchanged, as well as the amount of us who participate in contests which I suspect you don't.
    I think it is comical how people through such "statistics" around to bolster up their side of the argument when it just isn't so.
    Some people like to have bigger stations to work contests and chase DX. I certainly do. Some prefer to have 41ft holes in the water to pour their money into for validation with pictures of that on the wall instead of DX awards and such. To each their own maybe eh?
    Those that don't complain a bit here and there are perfectly happy with the status quo. If there are no complaints, then it is usually understood that everything is good! Kind of a head in the sand thing.
    LOTW could certainly be easier for someone overseas to get started with. I don't expect LOTW to improve much as far as implementation goes. In my opinion the ARRL website could certainly use some work too. My guess is that they don't want to hear about it but sometimes the boat needs to be rocked a little bit to wake people up!

6. K1VSK

sorry if I struck a nerve. I described a self-esteem issue which requires that some obtain validation. I don't feel able to judge anyone nor did I imply that; I just described the behavior. I don't care one way or the other whether you fit or not.

As to the complaining about how well ARRL is doing it's job, it is always easy for the guy who doesn't (have to) do it.

7. KF6ABU

KF6ABU Ham Member QRZ Page

What flew up your dress.

8. K1VSK

Not that it matters except to point out you have no clue, I have 356 total confirmed, HR #1 and have been an avid Dxer for decades. I just don't feel the need to prove anything to you. It makes no difference to me if you do or not.

As to the statistics, do you know the percentage of LOTW users (of which I am one) from the entire ham community (the obscure group to which I referred)?

If not, second no clue strike.

That you believe complaining is constructive ... . Ever consider talking to the people who actually do this work?

If not, strike # _

9. KF6ABU

KF6ABU Ham Member QRZ Page

PT0S, 8Q7EJ and 5X1NH all confirmed for me on LoTW today!! Thats 3 new countries in 2 weeks worked and confirmed. 269 worked and 209 confirmed and non applied for dxcc on 6 bands on LoTW alone in less then 3 years.

I am happy with LoTW.

10. K1VSK

Sounds like you are having lots of fun. LOTW is arguably the best thing that ever happened to Dxer's. consider the alternative many of us lived with when trying to confirm some of the old USSR republics via Box 88 Moscow and waited well over a year, if ever, to get a card and there was NO alternative as direct mail.

I vividly remember having discussions with fellow DXer's in which they described their compelling need to submit cards to the League by a date certain to "make" the annual Dx list.

I'd just once like to read some opinion that contains a logical explanation for the fervent need to do that.

Please someone tell me if the achievement is in the doing or the recognition.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.