LOTW

Discussion in 'Logbooks & Logging Programs' started by KG4ULT, Oct 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-Geochron
  1. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Quoth KG4ULT:
    Frank,

Lemme tell you, the costs add up significantly if you are very active. QSL costs can exceed the equipment cost because rig(s) are bought once and then amortized out over a decade or two, but postage and printing costs, plus time to administer that mess is a constantly repeating expense.

As far as the LOTW goes, I've been using it ever since it began, mostly because I have better things to do with my time than set at a desk filling out QSL cards.

I did not find it to be a very hard task to get signed up, nor to send log records to the LOTW once signed up. I simply tell the logging program to upload the files. Then they are converted to the .TQ8 format and transmitted.

QSL's follow.

Just yesterday I worked BX5AA and the confirmation was in my LOTW file this morning. I guess some folks CAN make it work!

73 Gary

2. KG4ULT

KG4ULT Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello Gary,

Well thanks for the input. I went to the ARRL site once and began to read on the subject; man did it get complicated after five minutes. However, maybe i was just too busy at the time to read it through carefully. Ill check it out tomorrow and see. I really want to recieve some cards. Thanks to all of those who have already sent their cards...for those who didnt please do [​IMG]

Thanks all again
    Frank

3. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

No, sorry Scott. I use LotW extensively, normally doing a monthly upload of new contacts (plus whatever contest logs justify a separate upload).

I found the initial setup a touch tedious, but that's all. Otherwise, the upload is a piece of cake.

Yes, you have to use TQSL for the encryption. No biggie. I select the file to encrypt, select the output name, select my location, enter my password.

Takes all of what, 20 seconds? It takes me longer to extract my upload QSO's from dBase and convert them to ADIF -- and that's by my choice since I still use my old database routines instead of a "modern" logging program.

LotW is a great (and long overdue) application. And it's free to use (costs only come into play if and when you apply for an award through LotW). Just wish more hams would use it!

4. N0IU

N0IU Ham Member QRZ Page

What are you saying I am sorry for?

I also use LoTW extensively and was merely pointing out the flaw in K3STX's statement about uploading ADIF and Cabrillo files to the LoTW system. When I said he was wrong, I didn't mean to say he was wrong about it being easy because that part is true.

I agree, there is really nothing difficult about using LoTW after you jump through their initial hoops.

Scott NØIU

5. NN3W

NN3W Ham Member QRZ Page

I also use LoTW, and like it. You'll find that a GROWING number of DXpeditions are now loading their logs up to LoTW after about a year. BS7H is there, 3Y0X is there, 5A7A is there. The Clipperton expeditions are there too.

6. NZ3M

NZ3M XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I use N3FJP log program. Uploading to LOTW is only a couple mouse clicks...

Dave

7. KG4ULT

KG4ULT Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello all,

Ok so here is the scoop. I downloaded TQSL and went through the whole uploading the cert request. So the next step is what; wait until i recieve the post card in the mail in order to be able to upload my current logged files?

Or will i get this info via email?

Frank

8. N0IU

N0IU Ham Member QRZ Page

9. K3STX

K3STX Ham Member QRZ Page

n0iu,

You are right, I was wrong. I left out the "certification" step required; wow, that ones a biggie. It takes all of 6 seconds to do, THEN you send the .tq8 file.

Well, maybe I am wrong again, I think 20 seconds might be more like it.

JEEZ!

paul

10. WZ0O

WZ0O Ham Member QRZ Page

QSL cost

Cards nice not great $50.00 for 500

Envelopes Self seal type with tape $20.00 for 500

Overseas stamps $.90 each $450.00 for 500

Two greenstamps per qsl 500= $1,000.00

Total cost for 500 Cards with SAE and money for return

is $1540.00

New Kenwood ts-2000 1600.00