LOTW WAS states

Discussion in 'SKED - QSO Scheduling' started by N4FZ, Apr 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. AG6WT

AG6WT Ham Member QRZ Page

The first 49 are easy. It's that 50th that's never on the air when you're on...

2. KJ3N

KJ3N Ham Member QRZ Page

People used to tell me how hard it was to work Alaska, but I've worked it on several bands over the years, including 6, 10, 20, and 75m. Go figure.....

3. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

Working all of the states isn't very difficult. The two somewhat more difficult tasks are getting the 50 confirmations, and then getting all of them together in one place, sending them in, etc., etc.

Like I mentioned above, after 30 some years of being a ham, I had always assumed that I had worked all states many times, and I probably did. But when I started looking around the QSL cards that are stashed in every corner of the house, I found absolutely no evidence that I had ever worked Delaware. And I don't specifically remember working Delaware, so maybe I didn't.

It is an interesting exercise to actually get the award. And probably for most people, it will entail having to actually work a few states that are missing from your QSL collection.

It's frequently said that you can get WAS in one weekend during a contest. But as far as I know, it's only been done once (by WB2WIK in a 6 meter contest). It's easy to work all 50. For example, I worked all states in the last CWSS. But rounding up those confirmations can sometimes prove tricky.

Like I mentioned above, I'm still finishing up my 5BWAS, and after a couple of years working on it, I still have a few to go on 15 and 10. The basic award (or even TPA) is pretty easy--I finished it in a couple of months. But it does take a bit of organizational skills. If you haven't been actively working on it, asking for new states on the zed is a pretty good strategy.

4. KE3FG

KE3FG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

LOTW & QSL cards?

Lets say you have 45 states confirmed on LOTW, and the missing 5 states you have already confirmed by QSL cards. Can you submit the 5 QSL cards to complete the requirement of all 50 states on LOTW, or must they all be confirmed on LOTW to count for WAS?

5. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, you can mix and match LOTW or physical cards, and it's very easy.

The easiest way to do it is to get most of them on LOTW. (For example, if you're missing Ohio, just work a bunch of 8's in some contest, half of them will be in Ohio, and half of them will confirm via LOTW.)

When you have all 50 confirmed one way or another, you apply for WAS using LOTW. It will inform you which ones you are missing, and then it will give you instructions on how to mail in those cards.

The only exception is for the Triple Play Award (WAS on 3 modes), which requires that all 150 confirmations be through LOTW.

6. N4FZ

N4FZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

WAS LOTW

Thanks to those who have helped me! :) I still need Arkansas, Montana and Rhode Island to finish. I am sure at one point or another, in the past 32 years, that I have worked all the states. I have QSL's for many, but not the last three I need. The K3UK website has been a BIG help! :D I am still having fun! 73 Gene

7. N4FZ

N4FZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

WAS Award

;) Well guys I am down to just Montana! Hi Hi... Any one willing to go mobile to MT? :D I will work on the Triple Play Award next. 73 Gene

"Beam me up Scotty, there are no intelligent life forms down here.."

8. WA4OTD

WA4OTD Ham Member QRZ Page

One of my last three also!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.