ad: Stlouis-1

LOTW upload only / Does anyone really use LOTW?

Discussion in 'Logbooks & Logging Programs' started by NZ9Y, Jul 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. WA4OTD

WA4OTD Ham Member QRZ Page

Very kind of you to upload. Yes many use LOTW and more are using every day.

Definitely not a waste of time. I like QSL cards, but for awards I'm just as happy to get based on LOTW.

I have about 4000 QSOs uploaded and my hit rate is about 38%. You upload and then they match, you won't see QSOs waiting for you.

2. N0AZZ

N0AZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

One of the best things since sliced bread I have over 200 DXCC enties confirmed on LoTW alone you do the math what it costs to send a direct QSL card. I only send direct if I send for a card it's over $3 and a lot of places now $4 one even being $6 in South America.

3. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

Saving a small fortune on postage and getting QSLs that are accepted for awards were the primary reasons I decided to sign up with LOTW.

Got my LOTW "certificate" yesterday from the ARRL and thought I'd try it out this morning...

I got so lost in the ridiculous quagmire of save this ADF file or uploading that or entering all so much data (I use a paper log) that I decided to heck with it!

I'll stick to my good old-fashioned paper logs, paper QSL cards and bite the bullet on postage. LOTW? No way!

73, Jeff

4. KF4YPD

KF4YPD Ham Member QRZ Page

As was stated further up the thread, HRD downloading from LOTW only marks QSOs as confirmed, it doesn't create new entries.

I've gotten just about 25% of my QSOs confirmed on LOTW, about the same return rate I have on eqsl. In terms of confirms per dollar, its the best deal going.

I didn't see the LOTW signup process as any trickier than, say, getting some QSL cards designed and printed up. As a youngin, I guess I see these things differently, but it was a few steps, easy enough to follow and well worth it.

5. N6DW

N6DW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

LOTW v Paper -- If you want the QSL, its his choice

Yes LOTW signup is uneccesarily complex and probably could be automated to avoid the steep initial learning curve, BUT it is the best thing going for QSLs. I confirmed RTTY WAS in a week after RTTY RU. In 3 years, I have confirmed 196 countries on LOTW. DXPeditions now regularly confirm through LOTW within days.

If you don't QSL, of course, don't go to the trouble. If someone says QSL through LOTW and you send a paper QSL, don't expect a return QSL. Contesters can have 2500 contacts in a weekend. DXPeditions can have 20,000. With paper that makes QSLing a daunting and expensive undertaking, even with return envelopes and greenstamps. Even if you don't like LOTW, you can't expect others to go to the time and expense of printing and postage to suit your tastes. It's not rude of them, they have QSLed. You just haven't picked it up.

6. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Having just started using LOTW myself recently, I can understand some people's skepticism. The thing that changed my perception forever and solidified my view is when I realized a P5/4L4FN qso was credited to my DXCC. I knew I worked N Korea but never bothered to get a qsl as I don't feel the need for a stranger's acknowledgment of the accomplishment but it was still cool!
    The signup process may seem complex but the directions make it almost idiot-proof.

7. WA4OTD

WA4OTD Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes it definitely is being used. You can upload and download on HRD. I use HRD utilities still to upload.
    [TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD="align: right"]391,635,125[/TD]
    [TD]QSO records have been entered into the system.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="align: right"]49,476,585[/TD]
    [TD]QSL records have resulted.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="align: right"]46,638[/TD]
    [TD]Users are registered in the system[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="align: right"]69,973[/TD]
    [TD]Certificates are active[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

8. N2EY

N2EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It took me a long time to adopt LoTW. Now I wonder why I waited so long.

Yes, there are several steps to getting set up. I realized this early on, so what I did was to print out the instructions and check off each step as I did it. I also kept all the papers, passwords and instructions clipped together. That way I wasn't depending on memory or interpretation.

Whole thing went smoothly. Uploaded my SS log as a test and had over 40 states confirmed towards WAS! A few more uploads and now at 49 states.

The reason the setup is so complicated is to avoid fakes and mistakes.

People say "I know I worked 5U4GB", and maybe they really did. But, since the very dawn of radio, credit for a QSO has always depended on independent confirmation. LoTW provides a double-blind way of doing that, without the cost and time of paper. Paper QSLs made perfect sense back when a QSL card was a couple of pennies and a stamp a couple more, and I didn't make all that many QSOs.

But nowadays I make a couple of hundred QSOs per SS. Confirming all of them would cost well over $100 - and that's just domestic postage and the cheapest possible cards! Sending an SASE doubles the cost.

Plus the time to fill out all the cards, and the relatively low return rate.

With computer logging being so popular, LoTW just makes sense for most of us.

---

I bet that if LoTW had never been invented, and ARRL still accepted only paper QSLs, there would be screaming from all over about "Luddism" and how easy it would be to have online QSO confirmations...

73 de Jim, N2EY

9. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

I recently set up LoTW per DX Labs: http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/SettingUpLotW

A tough process and DX Labs instructions made it a bit easier. Some think LoTW is 'secure' but really it is just difficult. It is useful however and I'm glad to have it. It costs nothing to register, upload contacts or check QSLs. You only pay to claim certificates: looks to be $15.70 for each WAS and $30+ for DXCC.

Even if you don't care about the certificates you do help other by confirming contacts with your uploads. Plus it's kind of fun to look back and see what/where/when your worked various entities and bands.

Uploaded 3000+ QSOs and have about 35% QSL rate so far. I am eligible for WAS in a few categories already and almost DXCC. Ham Radio Deluxe can be set up to streamline uploads and it only downloads on request, so no trouble there. Try it out!

10. N0NB

N0NB Ham Member QRZ Page

The confirmations just keep on rolling in on LoTW. While most are from recent contest operations but a few trickle in from the late '90s to current. The return rate on my recent 160m contest operations has been most impressive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.