LOTW upload only / Does anyone really use LOTW?

Discussion in 'Logbooks & Logging Programs' started by NZ9Y, Jul 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. WB3BEL

WB3BEL Ham Member QRZ Page

But if you have zero confirmations, then you are likely doing something wrong. You might have to wait a day to see that you have some uploaded records.

I think on average many folks see something like 25% matches.

Maybe the time you have for the QSO is wrong. Many folks are using UTC time. If the time is wrong by more than 30 minutes then it does not match.

Or maybe the day does not match...Or the mode...or the frequency band...etc

Lots of people use LoTW. Especially those who are interested in ARRL sponsored awards like DXCC, WAS, VUCC.

2. AA8IA

AA8IA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Actually, I misinformed you. If you successfully upload a batch of QSOs to LOTW, the ones you uploaded will show up [after a period of time]. You'd view them by logging into LOTW with a web browser and clicking on Your QSOs and then clicking on either Most Recent QSOs or simply clicking on Submit. If you want to see those QSOs of yours that were QSL'd by the other party, then you'd click on Most Recent QSLs or you'd checkmark the "Show confirmed QSOs only" checkbox and click Submit.

When uploading, your uploads will not always show up instantly... in fact rarely will they instantly show up in the interface after you upload them. It takes some time for processing. Your upload goes into a queue for processing. If you upload after a big contest weekend, there are tons of upload logs in the queue and it may take hours before your log is processed. So, if you upload your log and do not immediately see any meaningful QSO / QSL info, be patient.

Also, you can check the status of your last upload by logging into the LOTW page, clicking on Your Account, and then selecting Your Activity.

Mike

3. AA6YQ

AA6YQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Modern logging applications like DXLab provide one-click functions that

• determine which of your newly-uploaded QSOs have been accepted by LotW, and then update your logged QSOs to reflect this acceptance
    • identify all QSOs in your log that have been uploaded to LotW but that have not yet been accepted by LotW
    • determine which of your uploaded QSOs have been confirmed by LotW, and then update your logged QSOs to reflect these confirmations

Dave, AA6YQ

4. KI4EME

KI4EME Ham Member QRZ Page

so far all LOTW has been to me is a big disappointment. The files are hard to upload most of the time and the respopnse from other hams isn`t that great. It`s a lot of useless effort as far as I`m concerned.

5. AA6YQ

AA6YQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If you logging application doesn't automate LotW uploading, then get one that does.

Are you certain that your evidently-low confirmation rate isn't the result of problems with your uploaded QSOs?

Dave, AA6YQ

6. N0NB

N0NB Ham Member QRZ Page

That is certainly possible with paper QSL cards as well. Say someone copies the call wrong and mistakenly sends you the card (it has been happening to me for a few years). The honest operator will either ignore it or return the card with an explanation or forward the card on to the proper recipient. If the card would happen to be from some place needed for some award, the shady op could accept it and forward a QSL of his own. LoTW seems to circumvent this happenstance completely. It's possible that some shady ops could game LoTW but for what, an amateur radio award? Going to that sort of effort seems silly to me.

I finally set up on LoTW last week after years of procrastinating. I'm glad I did as I see that I qualify for WAS from this location and a former QTH. I'm still uploading log data so I'm holding off on submitting the applications for a while. If one is not interested in applying for ARRL awards, LoTW is probably useless unless you're operating from some rare/semi-rare location and receive a lot of QSL requests. In that case LoTW helps others and saves each party a lot of postage.

Sure the setup process is lengthy--it took a week from my first request to actually getting my first certificate with Labor Day in between--and somewhat convoluted, but it assures that log data is coming from someone who verified a mailing and email address. It also verifies that log data was not corrupted in the transmission from the local computer to LoTW. So I am assured that the data I intended to send is the data LoTW received.

7. K3DCW

K3DCW QRZ Lifetime Member #212 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I don't understand the "difficulty" that some have with signing and uploading their logs. A lot of programs support this automatically.

As far as return rate, that really depends upon with whom you have your QSO.

I chase a lot of DX, do some light contesting, and most of my daily QSOs are in digital modes. My "return rate" on LoTW is in excess of 50%, which I am happy with. That is about on par with the paper QSL return rate, so I can't complain.

I've found, however, that those who derive most of their enjoyment of ham radio from "rag chews" and who don't really care about chasing DX or awards tend not to use LoTW or even respond to many QSL card requests. It just isn't as important to them. So, if you're spending a lot of time with rag chewers and expect them to upload to LoTW all of the time, your rates will likely be much smaller.

It all depends upon what you and they are expecting.

Dave
    K3DCW

8. AK4MP

AK4MP QRZ Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

What you need to do is DL your QRZ Log and make sure it is in adif format. When you go to import that log into HRD in the upper half of the menu box that opens are 3 options. I know the middle option is ignor and it will or I need to say should ignor any dup contacts between the two logs. A word of of caution, If your times are off the least little bit you will get a dup entry in HRD. I fought mine for weeks getting the dups out.
    Yes it can be done.

9. KF6ABU

KF6ABU Ham Member QRZ Page

basic technology is not for everyone.

10. AH6RR

AH6RR Ham Member QRZ Page

I have been using HRD to upload to LoTW since HRD added that feature and it works great. As long as you use UTC for the time format you will get matches as long as the time is not off by 30 minutes or more. I use Thinking Man's Dimension 4 to keep my computer time and never have a problem getting matches. There are many logging programs that have the LoTW upload feature so find the one you like the best and use it. In the HRD Logbook if you set up the fields to show LoTW sent and received you will never have the Zombie syndrome (dupes uploaded to LoTW) I have about 2000 of them because I uploaded dupes before HRD added the upload feature. My fault but when you upload contest logs it can get confusing. My return rate is just over 25% with 10254 (12284 showing on LoTW but if you subtract the zombies) uploaded and 3657 QSL's.
    I agree with Dave K3DCW I do not understand the "Difficulty" people have with LoTW either, it is quite simple if you follow Instructions. Remember the old saying "If all else fails READ THE MANUAL"

Roland AH6RR

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.