ad: Radclub22-1

LoTW to be Offline for 6 hours 21 December

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K5XS, Dec 17, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KD5PUR

KD5PUR Ham Member QRZ Page

Not going to affect me, I never got it to work .

KC0PUN and KK1LL like this.
  2. N2RJ

N2RJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You're not the first person to mention this, and it is under consideration. Thanks for the suggestion. In one of my reports for IT modernization I had suggested that the database at the very least should be in the cloud. With the database on a managed service the scaling will all be done transparently.

3. KK1LL

KK1LL Ham Member QRZ Page

You do realize that you used the plural form of server and database.

4. KQ8W

KQ8W Ham Member QRZ Page

Beware of having the database in the cloud and the apps on-prem. You'll most likely use a VPN to connect the two networks, and I've found some providers' VPN solutions to be not as performant as expected. If you setup connectivity, I would highly suggest using iperf to test the available bandwidth for both single and multiple processes. For one provider, I found a single process could only get about 1/10 of the advertised bandwidth.

5. K2CD

K2CD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I perceive a noticeable difference for the better since it came back online. Much snappier page loads when pulling records. Good work!

6. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Ham Member QRZ Page

Whew....I'm glad it's still working although I have not tried it as yet.

I always hold my breath whenever an "operating system" is taken down, played with, and returned to service.

It's always nice when a plan comes together!

7. N2RJ

N2RJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm aware, as I'm an AWS certified architect and I've done Linux engineering for 20+ years. There are other things we are doing as well.

8. KI4KEA

KI4KEA Ham Member QRZ Page

However, it works. I really like LOTW and appreciated when people use it.

Paper is pretty awesome too sometimes.

9. KN4KXA

KN4KXA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Sure - the same way we access the LotW servers now, right?

10. YB0DOS

YB0DOS Ham Member QRZ Page

Warm greeting to your staf LoTW you are the Best de YB0DOS

11. N3FAA

N3FAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Best I can tell, they host their own servers in-house, likely on the fiber that already comes into their building, and that they pay for anyway for internet access. Going to the cloud (or any datacenter) would be an absolutely ridiculous move as far as cost is concerned. But I'm sure all the linux engineers already realized that. ;)

12. KQ8W

KQ8W Ham Member QRZ Page

Hard to conclude without any internal knowedge. It sounds like Ria is on the right path.

A network link is only one of many factors at play in any move. Speaking from experience, the ability to scale up in a matter of minutes to hours or the ability to pause compute resources when not needed or not having to monitor hardware is advantageous. And some technologies you cannot host on-prem.