LOTW SUCKS

Discussion in 'Logbooks & Logging Programs' started by KB8CPR, Jan 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: l-BCInc
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KB8CPR

KB8CPR Ham Member QRZ Page

Did you try contacting LOTW tech support? Sometimes an issue like you describe is easily rectified with the help of the appropriate support people.

I'm not familiar with this particular program, but I support some that generate the same feelings in me, so I am sympathetic [​IMG]

~Dave
    KB8CPR

2. KB9YFI

KB9YFI Ham Member QRZ Page

Welcome to the world of anti-piracy protection.

It's a pain in the butt. I have not used LOTW but I think you will probably have to either remember your passwords or contact the software publisher and put yourself on their mercy.

Read your TOS (terms of service) for the software. Many companies like microsoft sell you their programs to be used on ONE computer. It may be that since you have a NEW computer that you will have to buy the software AGAIN.

I ran into this problem with my programming software for my Yaesu VX-5R. RT system's ADMS would NOT work on my computer once I I upgraded to win XP. The registration number was not long enough -it kept saying that the number was incorrect and it seemed that it needed me to input one more number in the box than the 12 I had. I contacted RT systems and they gave me another number to try and I still had the same problem. I paid $50 for that stupid program and it would not work. RT systems offered me a chance to "upgrade" to the XP version for nearly the same $50 that a new program would cost.

Thanks, but no thanks. I'm using EVE now which is MUCH better. I'll never use RT-systems again if I can help it. They are not getting any more of my money. Many radios have freeware interactive programming software built by hams. I'm not a big fan of the way Yaesu is a proprietary company and how they don't offer much in the way of amenities like programming software or even online manuals on their website.

Good luck on getting your logbook program working. You are probably better off using eQSL anyhow. Overly-complicated programs with anti-piracy crap gumming up the works are bad news. It just makes it harder to use. Let your wallet vote for you and not spend any more money at LOTW.

3. N0IU

N0IU Ham Member QRZ Page

And this is the ARRL's fault because... ??

Scott NØIU

4. N5KRC

N5KRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Have you verified the time and date on your computer is set correctly?

I had the exact same thing happen to me when I setup a new machine, and low-and-behold, the year was set incorrectly.

Hate to see you give up if the answer is as simple as that! I've moved my certificates between several machines and never had any problems, as long as you remember the password for the certificate!

5. AB1GA

AB1GA Ham Member QRZ Page

(to sounds of babbling brooks and chirping birds...)

Paper QSLs don't need passwords.

Paper QSLs don't need tech support.

Paper QSLs don't crash.

(return to cyberspace...)

[​IMG]

6. N9VO

N9VO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

A fine example of someone not knowing a thing about lotw, making a response!

LOTW software is completly FREE. No cost at all for the software. Now if you decide to actually get some of the awards, there is a minimal cost.Still it's much less than the postage necessary for paper cards.

While it can be a bit complicated, it works well. No chance for fraudulent qso's.

The back up procedures must be followed to the letter. Did you reinstall tqslcert before you attempted to load the certificate??? Send a email to them and I bet they can give you assistance to fix quickly.

Regarding eqsl. I guess it's ok. I use it also. Only problem is that eqsl isn't really recognized for too many awards other than the ones they run.

Bottom line is that lotw works and works well. Most problems are actually operator related. I know, I have been there. I presently have it running on two computers and am on third certificates. No problems once I got it going. Hang in there. [​IMG]

7. N3BIF

N3BIF Guest

....."I've got a friggin PhD in Physics "......

How is this relevant?

8. N2RJ

N2RJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Exactly.

LoTW's certificates are not about software piracy protection.  They're about digital signatures to help at least ensure some measure of authenticity so that unlike some other systems, anyone can't just make up a callsign and start issuing fraudulent QSLs for DXCC and WAS award credit.

LoTW uses PKI for that, hence the certificates that everyone seems to be having trouble with.

But hey, what do I know, it's not like I'm a NCT union activist who knows everything...

9. KC7UP

KC7UP Ham Member QRZ Page

From one who has had the same problem. Send a msg to LOTW and advise them of the problem.They will send you back a new certificate (actually your old one) to reinstall. It will then run okay.
    Personally I don't use the password system they tell you to use in the backup as it only causes problems.
    Curt

10. N2RJ

N2RJ Ham Member QRZ Page

If you have the post card with your original password from ARRL you can use that too and re-create your cert.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.