ad: elecraft

LOTW- Renew or not

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W4IOA, Jan 10, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

If human psyche was only that straight forward. He does not have the same ethical values to begin with. To expect he is going to feel any remorse is an illusion, until he is 'unmasked'.

KC8VWM likes this.
  2. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Here we go again. Same old LotW bashing arguments.

Use it, or don’t use it. If you don’t care for the security, that is your prerogative. There are alternatives... and consequences for using them. But use it or not. And kwitcher kvetched.

Sheesh.

3. VA3VF

I would not count on that being a successful strategy. I think it's a frigidity inducing mechanism instead.:D

KP4SX likes this.
  4. VK4HAT

VK4HAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

No one is bashing anything. If you do not like my arguments and the discussion that is taking place, come up with better ones or your own and start your own thread. Or exercise the most important right you have, the right to remain silent. I recommend the latter, because the last 3 or 4 times you have replied to my posts the content amounted to neiner neiner you suck.

5. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Your complaining about LotW security is NOT bashing? Sure.

I really, really love how your response boils down to “shut up and don’t bother me”. “Now, there’s an intelligent response!” (A favorite movie quote that just played a few moments ago, as I type this)

Now: if you really want a electronic QSL card, so to speak, sent to you via email, you had better first solve the problem of editing. It was child’s play then, and it is child’s play now, to edit a JPEG, PDF, or other similar formats. (You don’t even have to buy expensive software to do so, there’s plenty of good freeware out there). And if you don’t think that there are some who wouldn’t modify an electronic image to change key information, up to and including their own call... think again.

You may not like the LotW security level — many don’t — but it is a major deterrent to people who like to play games with the system. It’s not perfect (what is?) and there are ways for 2 or more determined people to “fool” the system (no, I am NOT going to tell you how to do it, figure it out yourself), but it is difficult enough to make it unlikely.

And if you really think an emailed QSL would suffice for awards purposes, at least with some organizations, remind me to send you a copy of my eQSL “card” for North Korea. From P51SLIM. Hey, it says North Korea on it, so it must be good... right?

6. KB4QAA

KB4QAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Whereas, you waive your microphone/key in front of a radio and "mystically" believe that there is actually someone on the other side! Could be demons. or spirits. or a talking computer. :)

7. VA3VF

Who cares, as long as it generates a LoTW match.:D

8. VK4HAT

VK4HAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What is stopping me right now from editing up any old QSL card I like, having it professionally printed down the road. Nothing. I can say it was sent to me and no one would be the wiser would they. This might have been a way of limiting forgeries when people hand wrote cards, but anyone sending out more than a handful of cards is having all the information printed on them. And anything printed like that can be faked. Very easy.

Below is my QSL card, i print it on 200gsm matt white card stock using an inkjet and send to bureau. Card is legit, but if i send you a jpg in an email and you print it in exactly the same manner, its fake. I personally think that is stupid.

QSL.jpg

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  9. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

What’s stopping you is two things:
    The expense of having the card professionally printed
    The lack of what we could today call “2 factor authorization”

The later could be a signature, or the QSL manager’s stamp, or others. And yes, you could go to the further expense of duplicating the stamps, and so forth... but unless you’re Jeff Bezos (or his soon to be ex wife or their divorce attorneys), that would get real expensive real quick.

Possible, but not practical.

And yes, it is not out of the realm of possibilities to figure out how to reproduce a QSL card. (Remember, I was talking above about electronic cards, not printed ones). And it proves what? That you’re a cheater? (Even if no one else knows, you would know). What value is an award then?
    - - - -
    Some people who’ve been around here a while may remember a QSL Manager who had some issues uploading his clients logs to LotW. (He didn’t grasp how to properly use the certificates, but that’s not the point). So he managed to upload THEIR logs to HIS account (under their calls) and then proceeded to apply for awards through the system for himself. And when caught, blamed it on the ARRL and claimed it was some sort of “test” of the system.

Haven’t heard too much from him the last few years. Don’t know of any DX station that still uses him as a manager, though I’m sure some still do. A few of the other managers I know, last time I asked them about him, well, no longer thing so highly of him. I don’t wonder why.

Reputation as a cheater is not a good thing. Don’t be a cheater.

KC8VWM likes this.
  10. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

This is why I think LoTW confirmations are pretty much fool proof and electronic QSL cards themselves, not so much.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019