ad: Radclub22-1

LOTW- Renew or not

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W4IOA, Jan 10, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Bah, that’s child’s play!

Setting the clock on VCRs - THAT took genius!

2. VK4HAT

VK4HAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You secure things that need to be secure. Here is the thing, I can pay someone $3 to send me a card, that card is accepted for an award, same person emails me the digital file of that card and I print it, its no longer acceptable for an award. You do not think that is passing stupid?

Its not like I can force someone on the other side of the world to upload a log to LOTW that matches mine so i can fake DXCC 100 in 1 day. So why bother with digital signatures, its redundant and unnecessary. Show your license, join the program upload logs, that is all that is needed.

N4BC, US7IGN, KB4QAA and 1 other person like this.
  3. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

LoTW/ARRL awards program accepts both paper cards and digital confirmations. They don't accept email cards.
    QRZ doesn't, eQSL doesn't.

4. VE3CGA

VE3CGA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hope its easier to renew than the initial setup. I overfilled the cussin jar last time.
    Dont know why email qsls didnt get popular. Theres no difference printing a color one at walmart's photo printer from an email pdf than getting one in the mail. Arent qsl cards checked anyway when they are sent in.
    It is simpler to upload logs once its setup, but then not everybody uses lotw or qrz, so theres the gap in confirmation
    Cant understand what the gain would be in faking an award.

5. KP4SX

If an email QSL can be sent then the sender would seem to have enough wits about him to use one of the legitimized services. They all ask that the participant legitimize himself and his confirmations. Its not rocket science.
    You can print it out and put it on your wall or in your shoebox but for it to qualify for the various awards there has to be some level of standards or else there will be schmucks that will fake confirmations.
    Why would someone do this? Its called cheating. Entire DXpeditions have been disqualified for cheating.

6. VK4HAT

VK4HAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

And you do not think that is stupid? What is so special about paying the postal service what is becoming BIG dollars? So does it really matter who prints the card or what method of post is used to get it to the other person? Australia Post is the Jesus of QSL confirmations LMAO. Its idiotic and dumb and a waste of resources.

I have 40 DXCC entities I would like confirmations for, I see no value in paying what amounts to $10 AUD for most of them. And that is just the beginning.

7. KP4SX

No I don't. See above. Use the online facilities and pay nothing to the postal people. You don't get to create your own standards if you wish to participate in their awards program.

8. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

I once heard the following saying about criminal behavior/activity: One is a criminal only if he gets caught.

The cheater takes advantage of this to 'live the dream', until he is 'caught'.

And to use some anti-award analogy... he likely thinks he worked all those stations anyways, so what do you care?:D

9. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Must be nice for those people to look up at the award hanging on the wall they cheated to get.

It's hanging there as a constant reminder they cheated.

Awesome and I can't think of anyone more deserving !

VE3CGA likes this.
  10. N6PAT

N6PAT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe they do it to impress the ladies