LOTW Questions

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by WA6MHZ, Mar 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have LOTW working pretty well now, though it is quite tricky. I made up a log file with a pretty good assortment of DX Logged over the past several years and was pleased to see a good percentage of them confirmed.

Those that weren't were either because of Paper logging errors (wrong date or time), or the DX station didn't send in a log of his contacts. There seems to be no way to find out which is which.

So the question is: What about the REST of the contacts over the years I didn't put in the submission file? Can I log in THOSE, and ones from many years past?
    I have log books that go back to 1968. Most of those probably aren't on LOTW, and the important ones were all QSL'd with paper QSLs and submitted. But in filling out band modes, there may be contacts that were overlooked at the time and now needed. For example, I worked thousands of stations in the VHF Contests, and now it would be nice to get a VUCC. I want to enter all those logs into a file and see if any contacts there stick.

So can you send in patches of this and that, even some DUPES?
    Transcribing all these contacts from 40+ years of logbooks is really painful!

2. N3QVB

N3QVB Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, you can log the ones you didn't include in your submission file and I don't think you have to worry about dupes. I believe LoTW takes care of that. I think you'll be surprised at how many older contacts will eventually get confirmed on LoTW. The rate of confirmations has been steadily increasing, at least for me. When I started using LoTW around 2006 my QSL rate was about 10%. Now it's almost 31%. More and more DX are using the system and the more recent DXpeditions (XT2TT and T2GM) are uploading very quickly.

Do you use an electronic logging program? if so, many have a simple LoTW upload function so you don't have to manually create the file. Good luck with your LoTW confirmations.

3. K4HX

K4HX Ham Member QRZ Page

People are adding their logs/contacts all the time. Almost every time I check (about once a month) I see new confirmations from contacts as old as 10 years. I haven't entered any older than that.

4. W5DQ

W5DQ Guest

You can upload old QSOs so long as the date on them is WITHIN your date spread of the certificate that you are currently using for LOTW. As an example, say you certificate is from 0000Z Jan 1, 1975 to 2359Z Jan 1, 2014. You can upload (and it will be accepted) any QSO that falls within that time period. Say you have an old logbook that has QSOs from 1968. No QSOs from that period would be accepted nor would any for an alternate call (if you have changed call from W6ABC to WA6MHZ and 'MHZ is on your certificate then only QSOs to 'MHZ will be accepted).

You can continue to import old QSOs into your current electronic log (either by hand or electronically if you somehow got them into the ADIF format by another means). Once you have these imported, your logging s/w should easily upload them to the LOTW database. Also you could, although not recommended if the log is really large, upload the entire log each time you do an update. Dupes will be identified and ignored on submission to the LOTW database by the LOTW import function.

Having mucho QSOs in paper logs can be a time consuming task to enter those into an electronic log. The nice thing about doing it is the ability to see all the stats and reports that most good logging s/w can do on your data to give you a picture of where you stand. When I completed entering all my old paper logs years ago, I found several DX QSOs that I had overlooked to QSL and got those via LOTW. The really interesting tidbit is occasionally I will get a new one or two from several years ago that indicates that the DX station(s) had just uploaded their old logs and BAM! LOTW found a match and gave us both a QSL.

5. W5DQ

W5DQ Guest

My oldest one so far has been 25 years. QSO in 1987 and QSL in 2012.

6. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Beat you by a decade. I uploaded my old paper logs back in December - I got confirmations (eQSL, not LoTW)
    from 6 or 7 QSL's from 1976 and 1977, as well as F5IN from 1982!! I was really amazed (and happy!) to know
    some of those guys are still very much around and active.

Dave
    W7UUU

7. N0IU

N0IU Ham Member QRZ Page

I have had three callsigns since I have been licensed. When I first started using LoTW, I got three certificates; one of each callsign with the dates corresponding to the dates those callsigns were active. Once I had uploaded all of my logs, I let the first two certificates lapse since I was no longer going to be uploading logs from those callsigns.

After all that was said and done, I was able to link my account so that the logs from all of my previous callsigns would be combined with my current callsign so that all of the contacts I made counted towards my awards regardless of the callsign I was using at the time. You don't need a certficate to receive a confirmation, only to send a one. I have had this callsign since 1997, but I still get confirmations, albeit rarely, for one of my earlier callsigns.

8. WA8UEG

WA8UEG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I just had a 12 year old neighbor kid take all my logs (back to 1964) and provided him with a simple free log program that would output to ADIF. I told him to take as much time as he needed and paid him when he completed each log. He did them all in a summer, and I was uploading 1 or 2 logs a week all summer long. I also imported the ADIF files into the log I use (logger32, also free) so I have all contacts since I was a novice in my current log. It's not uncommon to make a contact and see that I worked the station 25 years or longer ago. It's about as cheap and trouble free as you can get. Most kids 10 & up will have no problem now a days doing this. I would think you should be able to find a 10 to 13 year old that would do it for 10 bucks a log. 20 log books $200 pretty cheap for having a record of every contact you have ever made, not to mention 5 band WAS, DXCC, WAZ, etc through LOTW. The next summer I made a deal with the same kid to cross check all my QSL cards with the entries he made and add the counties, I don't hunt counties but I figured I might some day and why not, that was real cheap for going through boxes and boxes and boxes of QSL cards.

9. N0AZZ

N0AZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I had a friend who went back 22 yrs and 3 callsigns also he had a lot of LoTW confirmations for bands and modes enough for 5BDXC,C 5BWAC and 160m DXCC a few weeks later quite a feat IMHO. But it took him several months of on and off work to get it done and new certificates for the old callsigns.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.