LotW problem in Windows 2000

Discussion in 'Logbooks & Logging Programs' started by W3GER, Apr 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
  1. W3GER

W3GER Ham Member QRZ Page

N8YX
    I see that it shows up very low-res on QRZ.
    If you send me your email address (to W3GER@arrl.net) I'll send it as an email attachment-- should be better.

73 de W3GERry

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Did you create & upload your new certificate request from the old computer or the new one?

I had a similar problem twice in the three years or so that I've used LOTW. I don't remember exactly what the error message was but it was some kind of "System Error" message.

The first time it was fixed by reinstalling everything (hence, my first suggestion earlier today) but using certificates that I already had.

The second time, it would not even take my existing certificates so I requested a new one and it did take that one.

I don't have a clue what goes into LOTW security - when it works it is more or less transparent - but when it goes bad, it gets to be a major PITA.

But I suspect that something about the certificate or "private key" is machine-specific, but I don't know.

3. W3GER

I created and uploaded my certificate request (W3GER.TQ5) on my new machine.  I got back my new certificate (W3GER.TQ6) on my new machine, where it doesn't work.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I transferred that W3GER.TQ6 to my old machine, where it did work.

As they say in Noo Yawk--     go figure!

73 de W3GERry

4. VA2FCS

VA2FCS Ham Member QRZ Page

GE0

I don't know about this certificate, but normally under Windows 2000 and XP certificates have to be imported in what is called a certificate store.

Does this certificate comply with th X509 standard ? Usually a certificate does not have an .exe extension. The Exe file mentionned is the previous post might be the utility used to import your certificate and might not work at all under Windows 2000.

Can you tell us the file extension of your certificate ?

VA2FCS

5. W3GER

As mentioned, my certificate is in a file named W3GER.TQ6. When I try to use TQSLCERT.EXE to "load" the certificate (which, according to the ARRL, should work under W2K) I get the Permission Denied error.

73 de W3GERry

6. VA2FCS

GER

You said that the computer has been upgraded from 98 SE to Windows 2000. Those 2 operating systems treat user accounts very differently.

Now, when the PC was running under 98 SE the certificate was already installed and i assume it was working. Once the certificate is installed, where is it's exact location ? can you delete the old certificate and try installing the new one ?

The TQ6 file extension sounds propriatary to me and not a standard certificate file so it might be an issue.

When requesting the certificate, do you have to mention on which operating system the certificate will be installed on ? were you still running 98 SE when you renewed your certificate ?

This is what i would try. Create a new user account and put this user in the administrators group. Log on with the newly created account and try installing the certificate again to see if it works.

Sylvain

7. VA2FCS

8. W6TMI

W6TMI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've only touched on Lotw, can't advise there, but in general, for software additions, might want to check if the user you log in as is part of administrators group.
    In general you can run installed software WITHOUT being in that group. to install software, you should be in group "Administrators". I am assuming you are NOT logging in as the administrator user. Sometimes software will install, but won't be "quite right" as it will not have been able to update system level registry keys.

To add yourself to administrators group:

Right click on "my computer", select manage.
    Expand the "Local users and groups" line, in the left section.
    Click on "Users".
    In RIGHT section, you should see the user you are logging in as. Double click it.
    Click the "Member of" tab
    If Administrators is NOT there, click "add".
    Carefully type in "administrators" (plural) hit enter, or press "OK".

Now try it.

9. WA7CC

WA7CC Ham Member QRZ Page

This is a long shot, but you might look in the Event Viewer and see if there's any more information.

I haven't used Win2000 in a while, but I think you'd find it under Administative Tools - Event Viewer. There will be several Event logs to review.

Probably you'll find a message like, "System Error: Permission denied". <smile>

10. W3GER

Sylvain--

We're talking two separate computers. The old one had (and still has) 98SE and the new one has 2K.

I requested and got the certificate on the new one, where it doesn't work. I copied it to the old one, where it works. (I want it to work on the new one, since I don't intend keeping the old one around.)

And yes, the user I log in as in the Adminstrators group.
    And no, when reqauesting a certificate you don't specify your OS (nor even your platform).

73 de W3GERry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.