LotW problem in Windows 2000

Discussion in 'Logbooks & Logging Programs' started by W3GER, Apr 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
  1. W3GER

W3GER Ham Member QRZ Page

I migrated from a PC running Windows 98 SE (where I successfully used Logbook of the World) to a PC running Windows 2000.  Also, my certificate was expiring so I obtained a new one.

I can't "load" the new certificate in TQSLCert--  I get "System Error: Permission denied".

The ARRL's LotW support people say that that message is originated in Windows 2000 and not in the LotW software, so they can't help me.

I've been running the new machine since August and have run many, many apps with no problem.  Anybody seen this problem?

Thanks in advance!
    73 de W3GERry

P.S.  I successfully uploaded a log file by firing up the old computer (which I still have) and moving the log file and the new certificate over to it and loading the new certificate there.

2. N8YX

N8YX Ham Member QRZ Page

What security permissions does the file in question have?

3. KC7UP

KC7UP Ham Member QRZ Page

Did you check to see your password you saved in the Certificate was correct?
    Curt

4. W3GER

I don't know, and I don't know how to find out.
    (I'm new to W2K.) I poked around some in Windows Help, but didn't get much of anywhere.

I hope you'll be willing to give me a little more help with this.

73 de W3GERry

5. W3GER

I successfully loaded the certificate on my old machine with the password I believe to be correct.
    I don't know any other way to "check" it-- please advise.

73 de W3GERry

6. N8YX

N8YX Ham Member QRZ Page

Right-click on the file; select "Properties" then select the "Security" tab.

Does your user ID have 'execute' rights?

7. W3GER

Thanks. I had done that. It didn't help.

73 de W3GERry

8. W3GER

Hmmmmm.......

If I right-click on TQSLCERT.EXE a box appears with a General tab and a Version tab-- no Security tab.

If I on my cdertificate file (W3GER.TQ6) a box appears with a General tab only.

73 de W3GERry

9. W3GER

I don't know how to tell.
    See the attached screenshot (I hope it's visible to you-- I've not attached JPGs to QRZ posts before).

I am user "Gerry Cechony", so I'm in the administrator's group. But I'm not permitted to highlight that line. (And note that most buttons are greyed out).

73 de W3GERry

10. W3GER

I presume that I must, since I've executed many many apps with never a problem till now.

73 de W3GERry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.