ad: Bamatech-1

LoTW logging for Mobile Hams

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by NT5A, Nov 23, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
  1. NT5A

NT5A Ham Member QRZ Page

Has anyone figured out how to conveniently enter mobile contacts into LoTW? When I travel I would enjoy giving out counties and would keep a temporary log to record my contacts. But I would like to add these to my electronic logbook and then upload them to LoTW. If I understand it correctly, I would need dozens, or even hundreds of QTHs for LoTW to digest the data.

Does anybody do this???

2. N4UP

N4UP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The short answer is I don't know that there is a solution to the problem posed. I have also asked the question. People tell me it is easy to simply add "locations" to LoTW. That may be true for a few locations, but not for many. In the past I have run up to 30 different counties in a day. I should not have to create 30 different "locations" in LoTW and upload 30 different files, every day I am out there.

In the past three years I have operated from over 1,000 different counties, with over 19,000 mobile QSOs. And I don't upload any of them to LoTW because it is simply not designed for "many" different QTHs. I think this is a real shame. And the solution is so easy. All they have to do is take the QTH information from the uploaded ADIF file. That is what QRZ does, mostly. I always make sure my ADIF has the correct TX location for every contact.

At first QRZ logbook would take my ADIF QTH information and replace it with my fixed QTH information, effectively undermining the integrity of the contact. Stupid! I complained, and eventually they fixed it, sort of. Now they accept ADIF QTH information but they don't generally get the independent cities correct. At least last time I checked. But that is QRZ, not LoTW.

Maybe someone has a better answer. I'd be happy to hear one. But don't tell me it is easy unless you can show me how to add 3,077 different QTHs "easily" ... And uploading 3,077 different files is not easy. Uploading one file with multiple QTH information embedded in the ADIF is easy ! So why not allow that?

Bottom line is I don't know of any "major" logging software or online logs that are mobile-friendly ( that work easily for up to 30 different locations per day ).

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
  3. W4POT

W4POT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Agreed that LoTW is hostile to mobile logging by the way it ties locations to uploaded logs for all of the contacts in the log, instead of using location info for each contact in the log.

The logging software (HamLog) that I use on my phone or tablet lets me get the grid square of my location at the time the contact is logged, using the device's GPS. I'm capturing the info but instead of accepting it when I export and upload ADIFs, LoTW seems to have been architected more for those who have second homes, remote controlled stations, or other semi-regular fixed locations that they wish to associate logs with.

4. N4UP

N4UP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well said. LoTW serves the vast majority of operators, who do not do many locations in a day. Mobile operators are a minority.