LOtW issues?

Discussion in 'Logbooks & Logging Programs' started by N3DT, Mar 29, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. N3DT

N3DT Ham Member QRZ Page

PD2D, did exactly what you said, edited 'host' with notepad (admin), rebooted, initiated upload, re-entered same name and pw and bingo. It seemed to work. I only uploaded 1 entry and will wait to see if it shows up in lotw. But I did get the 'finished' button to show. I'm still waiting to see it show up.

But I don't understand what this does, but if it works, so what.

2. N3DT

N3DT Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, it took a while but the entry finally showed up in lotw. Thanks all, I still don't know what I'm doing, but if it works... I should write this down somewhere, I'll never remember it if I have to reinstall HRD.

3. PD2D

PD2D Ham Member QRZ Page

It looks like HRD is freezing some settings inside the software (url, login,etc). You now have "tricked" HRD
    Editing the hosts file re-routes internettraffic. The hosts file is a realy old mechanism. Your pc is first looking in this file before looking on the nerwork or on the internet. Is also the basic, for some kind, of internet fraude. Try this:
    Edit the hosts file and add a row which says: 95.110.208.87 www.qrz.com and save.
    Close your browser and start it again. When you now type www.qrz.com (you will probalbly get an ssl error for the website certificate, ignore it) you will see the hrdlog.net website. The url in the browser will show www.qrz.com.
    ( don't forget to remove the entry in the hosts file)

re-entering the username and password refreshed something in HRD ( what basicly happens bij enterring again :) )

But WTF is works again! Keeping the old lady working!

4. N3DT

N3DT Ham Member QRZ Page

So what actually happened? Did lotw change something or did HRD V5 change something. I certainly didn't (that I know of). And if it's V5 that changed something, how did that happen, I didn't do any updates?

If there were another free logging current software like HRD, I'd probably switch to it. I looked at logger32 and didn't like it at all. Too confusing.

I'm staying home, now if I could keep my wife from careening around the countryside, I'm afraid she'll bring that virus home. At 76 I don't need it. But luckily I don't have any other underlying issues, yet.

Be careful out there. Morons Are Governing America.

5. PA2REH

PA2REH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This is the reply of ARRL:
    We are unable to provide support for any of the third-party logging programs. Please contact HRD for support for their product.

6. PA2REH

PA2REH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Also modified the host-file and tried the workaround. As an adminstrator, But even after some reboots, it doesn't work for me. What I'm doing wrong?

7. N3DT

N3DT Ham Member QRZ Page

LOtW been working fine for me, at least the upload, I never download anything. V5 that is. After you change the 'host' file, look at it again and make sure the changes happened correctly.
    Make sure you type things in right, copy/paste is your friend. Also re-type in your call and password in the upload box, it may make a difference.

8. AA6YQ

AA6YQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

From a email message sent earlier today to the lotw-devel@reflector.arrl.org by Mike K1MK, ARRL IT Manager :

"The URLs for uploading to and downloading from LoTW changed from p1k.arrl.org <http://p1k.arrl.org> to lotw.arrl.org back in May, 2013. At that time the use of p1k as a means for accessing LoTW was officially deprecated. Recently, the server at p1k has begun responding to requests for LoTW URLs with 301 or 308 Permanent Redirect status codes in an effort to transfer any remaining traffic to lotw.arrl.org. This change was implemented in preparation for p1k's pending shutdown and final retirement sometime in the near future. No date for cessation of p1k operations has not yet been established."

WJ4U likes this.
  9. N3DT

N3DT Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, the p1k will not work for me.

10. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

This is correct - p1k doesn't work any more - use lotw.arrl.org instead.