LOtW issues?

Discussion in 'Logbooks & Logging Programs' started by N3DT, Mar 29, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. VE3SCN

VE3SCN Ham Member QRZ Page

I too am having the same issue.

Code:
    18:33:40  GetHttpConnection             URL ............: p1k.arrl.org
                                            Internet port ..: 443

18:33:40  CHttpConnection::OpenRequest  Verb ..........: 0
                                            Object name ...: /lotwuser/default
                                            Referer .......: https://p1k.arrl.org/lotwuser/default
                                            Accept types ..: NULL
                                            Version .......: NULL
                                            Flags .........: 04803000

18:33:40  LOTW Login                    Error = The HTTP redirect request must be confirmed by the user
    I suspected the URLs are a problem. I found this thread, specifically this reply:
    - NS4P https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/qrz-not-updating-log.696362/

I changed the URLs in HRD Logbook to lotw.arrl.org yet the software seems to still use the old p1k.arrl.org url

:( Not sure where to go from here.

2. AE6QE

AE6QE Ham Member QRZ Page

I was able to employ a dirty workaround. In the hosts file (C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts for Win 8/10), I added this line:

104.207.196.18 p1k.arrl.org

The IP address actually points to lotw.arrl.org, for now, but it tricks the computer to think that it's p1k.

My LOTW was able to successfully upload after this.

Hope this helps!

VE3SCN and WJ4U like this.
  3. N3DT

N3DT Ham Member QRZ Page

QE, are you referring to the QRZ/lotw issue or the HRD/lotw issue? I find no entries in my 'hosts file', just everything preceded with a #.

4. VE3SCN

He is referring to the HRD/LOTW issue. you should add the following line to the end of the file and save it.

Code:
    104.207.196.18 p1k.arrl.org
    This will allow you to upload to LOTW from HRD v5. I have not found a fix to allow downloads but I will compile my findings about LOTW downloads in another post.

5. PD2D

PD2D Ham Member QRZ Page

Here the same issue, the hosts trick works to have the upload function and the download window back again.
    Download is empty....
    The Logbook logfile show al lot of messages with "invalid date time". Also here started last sunday. Probably DST issue?

6. PD2D

PD2D Ham Member QRZ Page

and suddenly out of the blue everything worked again as before........

7. N3DT

N3DT Ham Member QRZ Page

Mine is not suddenly not working. Also even though I run file explorer as admin, I cannot save the 'host' file, it still says I need admin privileges. I edited it with 'notepad' and can't save it.

8. PD2D

PD2D Ham Member QRZ Page

Try the other way around. Start Notepad as admin and navigate to the hosts file. Edit and save

VE3SCN likes this.
  9. VE3SCN

Can you think of anything special you did? Downloads still do not work for me.

10. PD2D

PD2D Ham Member QRZ Page

I've changed the hosts file, rebooted, did an upload, re-entered my username and password at the upload screen and it worked. Between the changing of the hosts and the working situation was about 2 hours.