LOTW is worthless for DX

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by WH2HAO, Aug 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. WH2HAO

WH2HAO QRZ Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I just experienced the pain and suffering everyone knows getting LOTW to work. I succeeded after a tremendous headache. I uploaded 80 QSO's, all DX and confirmed with my eQSL, and received a match of 2 QSL's. 2. 2/80 = 2.5 % on DX QSO's. I checked all my QSO call signs and none uploaded a log. So it's not a matching problem, its just that people don't use it. Mmmmm. Now that is worthless, why bother when all your contacts are Asia, Russia Dx, Dx ,etc, nobody uses it. What a waste of time.

2. K7JBQ

K7JBQ Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

How recent are those QSOs? LOTW is not instant gratification.

An awful lot of us have found that LOTW, while being a bit tedious to get going, is a great tool for the DXer. I'm not at my home computer, so can't give you numbers, but my DX confirm rate using LOTW is better than 30%.

Bill

3. K7MH

K7MH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Not quite the experience I have had.
    No pain with LOTW, no headache and a lot of DX confirmations especially from RTTY contacts. It is a tool to use is all. I am at 91 confirmed on LOTW for RTTY DXCC, and 104 worked.
    I often get new DX confirmations from contacts for a year or so ago.

4. WW3QB

WW3QB Ham Member QRZ Page

I guess my 6 DXCC's acquired with mostly LoTW credits are worthless. My most recent LoTW QSLs:

qsls.jpg

5. WH2HAO

WH2HAO QRZ Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I hear what you are saying. My contacts don't use it. I have mostly Asian and Russian Dx. None of them use it. I'm sure I'll get 6 DXCC's some day. I just need to upload another 160 QSO's statistically to get there.

6. KB3LIX

KB3LIX Ham Member QRZ Page

My % is just a wee bit higher.
    That didn't format quite right, but I suppose you
    get the idea.

54.406 % Return rate.

Mine are mostly DX too.

[TABLE="class: userhead, width: 100%"]
    [TR]
    [TD="align: right"]You have 43,300 QSO records[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD][TABLE="width: 100%"]
    [TR]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]You have 23,558 QSL records
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

7. K7VZ

K7VZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Give it a few days and check again. LOTW doesn't match/update instantly.

8. KE3FG

KE3FG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My current matched percentage is 34%. At first, in 2009, it was lower because it included all QSOs since 1993, and many of those early ones will never be matched, because some of the hams became inactive or SK. I recently got my DXCC-CW certificate without including any extra QSL cards that I have for countries not confirmed by LOTW. I was not even thinking about getting the certificate until LOTW confirmed 80 or 90 countries. If you are patient you will find that it is a lot easier to get awards using LOTW than by trying to round up the QSLs by direct mail.

9. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My return rate is not great, but from the first DX contest I uploaded, I got 32 countries confirmed. I'm not a big DXer, so it will probably not change much before the next big DX contest. Now that I have LoTW, I may try harder during the DX contests.

10. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

http://www.ncdxf.org/pages/grant_app.php
    The Northern California DX Foundation requires that DXpeditions that receive a grant must upload their logs to LoTW in 12 months.
    HK0NA got $15,000 and VP6T got $6000--their logs are already on LoTW--you got a QSL via LoTW whether you contributed or not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.