ad: UR5CDX-1

LOTW - how many hams use this?

Discussion in 'Logbooks & Logging Programs' started by KA1YBS, Jun 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. WW3QB

WW3QB Ham Member QRZ Page

In the 2008 DXCC Yearbook (just came out) it says that about one third of the DXCC applications had at least some LoTW QSLs.

Note the LoTW and e-QSL serve different purposes. LoTW is good for WAS and DXCC. e-QSL is not. e-QSL lets you print a card for display. LoTW does not. e-QSL is good for some CQ Magazine awards. LoTW is not.

2. K3STX

K3STX Ham Member QRZ Page

It is more difficult because I would have to drag a computer into my shack. Like oil and water, computers and Ham radio do not mix.;)

paul

3. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't have a computer in my shack, but I have about 1400 QSO's confirmed on LOTW.

When I'm ready to upload them, I just type them into a spreadsheet, run them through a program to convert them to ADIF format, and then upload them. A couple dozen QSO's usually takes about five minutes.

4. W9FXC

W9FXC Ham Member QRZ Page

Judging by the number of digital mode contacts I have, I'd say they mix very well. And frankly, that's a pretty pathetic example when you consider the number of hard-core contesters who use computers extensively during contests. Heck, many hams are moving to software defined radio where the computer IS the radio!

5. MM0XXW

MM0XXW Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I also use both LoTW and eQsl and have to say that for a short time I was slightly disappointed with the returns, about 11% (3500 qso's) on LoTW and just slightly higher on eQsl.
    Let's face it it's not everyone that has a PC not forgetting those that just don't like them. Luckily I started using a logging programme (Winlog32) from the very start so there's been no issues regarding transferring paper logs onto the PC as some folk have had to do.

Of the two I find LoTW by far the simplest however that's just my preference but they won't stop me sending/receiving the good old paper style cards.

6. KB5IAV

KB5IAV Ham Member QRZ Page

I have yet to start using LOTW. I have for the longest time kept paper logs, I have paper logs going back to 1989 when I first got on the air. I've had a computer for all those years(first a Commodore, now a PC), and never did computerized logging. The only QSOs I have logged in electronic format are my digital mode (PSK31, Olivia) QSOs because the software does it automatically, and those only go back to June 2008.

I enjoy sending and receiving paper QSL cards, just wondering if LOTW will have an effect on that in any way. If I send a card and it's confirmed through LOTW, will I get the card? What about if I want to compete for a non-ARRL award that requires QSL cards, what do I do then? I do like the idea of LOTW, but also like paper cards as well. I don't accept cards through EQSL because they aren't valid for awards.

Still debating on if I should join LOTW or not.

7. K7MH

K7MH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It's just a tool to use. I get a lot of cards via the buro even though LOTW had the contact confirmed months ago.
    If it isn't an ARRL award you may need a card for it. If it is an ARRL award, some of them can use LOTW confirmations.
    I have a lot of cards. I don't really need any more of them so LOTW is fine with me. It doesn't cost anything to use until you want to use them to apply for an award. Still it's cheaper than sending direct cards overseas!!
    Best response is with digital modes.
    You get what you get.

8. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Lifetime Member 279 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

If you ever care to obtain any ARRL awards, LOTW makes it much easier. You can still send all the paper QSLs you want. eQSL is now accepted by CQ for some of their awards.

My logging program makes uploading contacts to LOTW and eQSL seamless. I now upload all my contacts to both since it's so easy.

I am running about 25% confirmation rate via LOTW. Over time as more folks begin to use it, I would expect that number to rise somewhat. I still get confirmations on occasion from QSO's over a year old. Some folks just take their time uploading!!

............Bob

9. KC0UUT

KC0UUT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I had a similar problem a couple years ago. I entered the wrong code (post card was confusing) and in my case, the software did not give you a second chance to enter the correct code. I ended up calling the ARRL support staff. They were very nice & corrected the problem right away.

John
    KC0UUT

10. KA9MOT

KA9MOT Ham Member QRZ Page

I had problems with understanding the directions.....and I can't actually say it was LOTW's fault.

I was trying to do LOTW at home, with no interenet. I was running back and forth to the library and it was my intention to use my thumb drive to bring stuff back home.

I emailed the folks at LOTW and received an email back in less then an hour. I think the ladies name was Kathy. Her instructions were very hard to screw up and I successfully got the software set up.

Now I have internet at home, and in ACLog3.0 I just tell the logging program to upload to LOTW. It will also download from LOTW.

It just doesn't get any easier.

What I have learned, save your certificate. When your hard drive crashes (and they do crash don't they), you'll need it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.