LOTW - how many hams use this?

Discussion in 'Logbooks & Logging Programs' started by KA1YBS, Jun 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. KA1YBS

KA1YBS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello, I signed up for ARRL LOTW, got my card in the mail, created a 50 QSO log file, signed it, uploaded it.

Now ARRL shows exactly 3 out of the 50 as QSL...

Is this a good ratio (50-3)? If so, what other digital ways are hams QSL-ing other than e-qsl?

Thanks,
    Tim

2. KC7YRA

KC7YRA Ham Member QRZ Page

There is also Eqsl.

I personally will not use either. I cannot figure them out. Good ol' paper for me.

Brad

3. AB8XE

AB8XE Ham Member QRZ Page

Appearantly 27,278 hams use lotw for 41,511 callsigns. :D

Many hams dont seem to update in real time, or even monthly, so it can take some time for QSL's to show up.

4. W9MAV

W9MAV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I sometimes use eqsl but LOTW is way to confusing for me.

5. KA1YBS

KA1YBS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have to admit, I am a bit late. Some of the QSOs are over a year old! These were all mobile/portable.

I will convert my QTH paper log at some point, too, but I am hoping my efforts are worth it.

6. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

That's about right for just normal casual contacts.

You will get significantly higher percentages for contest contacts and for digital modes. Right now, I'm at 1386 out of 4637.

I like good ol' paper as well. In fact, LOTW is one of the things that got me interested in QSL'ing again, so I'm sending and receiving a lot more paper cards.

But it's great for various awards. For example, 5BWAS requires 250 QSL cards, and you have to go through that expense to get your five cards from New York, the five cards from California, the five cards from Texas, etc.

LOTW cuts down greatly on the cost of confirming the "easy" ones. If you make a hundred contacts in a contest, then you'll probably have 30 confirmations within a couple of days.

I don't really have any need for eQSL confirmations, but if someone sends me one, it doesn't cost me anything to confirm it, so I don't see why not.

7. N2VWP

N2VWP Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah, eqsl is super easy, just manually entry, put in the info.. send.. done.

I have NO idea how to use LOTW... I signed up and verified it and all that, but couldn't figure it out after that, meh!

--rob

8. W9MAV

W9MAV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

HAH! Thats the exact same thing that I did. I registered and then I couldn't figure out what to do.

9. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

Note that the other guy needs to upload your call exactly as you do. So if you uploaded them as KA1YBS, and the other guy uploaded it as KA1YBS/M or KA1YBS/1, then it will not show up as a match.

When I am operating with something else after my call, such as W0IS/R in a VHF contest, then I upload it twice, once as W0IS, and then again as W0IS/R. Similarly, if I work KA1YBS/M, then I'll log it twice, with and without the /M.

10. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

It's actually not as bad as the instructions make it sound. They made it somewhat more complicated than they had to. But unfortunately, they made the instructions even more complicated.

It's not hard to get signed up. Really. Once you have it all set up, it's actually quite easy. Really, despite what the instructions say.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.