LoTW, eQSL, QRZ or any other E- Log confirmation percentage

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N5WTF, Dec 2, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N5WTF

N5WTF Ham Member QRZ Page

Was wondering what everyone's E-Log QSO confirmation percentage is.

My QRZ confirmation is non existent but my LoTW percentage is about 38% right now and upwards of 50% at times.

Just wondering what everyone else is getting.

Edit: These percentages are from strictly satellite contacts. I understand HF may have auto logging capabilities or computer interfaced log. Please state some details

Thanks
    N5WTF

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    WW2PT likes this.
  2. WW2PT

WW2PT Ham Member QRZ Page

My return rate on LOTW is around 63% (contacts going back to 1988).

I upload every QSO to LOTW, eQSL, QRZ, ClubLog, and HRDlog. Just under 6,000 QSOs—not a lot for almost 32 years, but I’ve always been more of an SWL. I primarily chase DX and play in the occasional contest, 100% CW now but was active on phone and digital in earlier days. My contacts are pretty targeted, I won’t jump into a pileup unless I need the DX for something—ATNO, new band, new QRP DXCC, WAS, IOTA, etc.

My general observations: DXpeditions and contesters, especially CW ops, are more likely to upload to LOTW and ClubLog. I had far better return on eQSL from digital ops than I did CW; this was back in 2009-2013 when I was doing a lot of PSK31.

I’ve got 211 entities on LOTW (mixed) and only 2 others that I’ve confirmed on paper only; I earned Triple Play (WAS on CW, Phone, and Digital) entirely using LOTW while living in Texas; I’m closing in on 1,000 band slots for the DXCC Challenge; and I’m about 100 slots away on 80, 12, and 10 from 8-Band DXCC. All on LOTW, without spending a penny on postage, and all done with relatively low power (never more than 500w, often just 5w) and very simple wire and vertical antennas. So I’m pretty pleased with LOTW. :D

N5WTF likes this.
  3. N5WTF

Thanks for the reply. I was just curious about how many people use E-logs of whatever flavor. And maybe what kind of confirmations I could expect. At first it was a bit discouraging on the number logged versus confirmed. But then it picked up and I could see some progress. I will not log a station on paper or the computer unless it is a 100% QSL both ways.

4. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

How do you know beforehand the other station is going to confirm the contact?

K3XR, KA2CZU and KK5JY like this.
  5. W4RAV

W4RAV Ham Member QRZ Page

In my experience, those who use digital-modes upload logs more regularly.

Might be since they already have a computer and use it as part of the hobby, they're more savvy than those who only use voice or a CW.

W0PV likes this.
  6. KE4AZZ

KE4AZZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Because they Say " I have you on the recording and I will confirm on Tweety"....:confused:

N5WTF likes this.
  7. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Be aware that QRZ call sign profiles under the DETAIL tab generally include info as follows,

QSL by Mail? No (e.g. Will this ham QSL by Postal Mail?)
    QSL by eQSL? Yes (e.g. Will this ham QSL with eQSL?)
    Uses LOTW? Yes (e.g. Does this ham use ARRL's LOTW ?)

I find those answers are usually followed near 100%. I sometimes use that info to select who to call and QSO toward achieving ARRL or other awards that require such confirmations. No answer there generally means just roll the dice ...

There are some hams that still log primarily on paper and do limited and sporadic, if any, transcription to electronic format. I am often amazed at getting web based QSL's of any type sometimes YEARS after the QSO. However, those are often also most likely to send a hard copy card, even unsolicited.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
  8. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

QRZ 54%
    LoTW 65%

9. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Is there a one click method of determining the QRZ percentage, or am I relegated to count and divide?

K1OIK likes this.
  10. N5WTF

I do not know before hand. Thought that statement in itself was pretty clear. If I do not hear QSL 73 then I do not count that as a legit contact. I will wait for another round and try to get it next time.

K4AGO likes this.