LoTW: 2nd location but only 1 certificate setup of TQSL

Discussion in 'Logbooks & Logging Programs' started by W4PG, Jun 6, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Lifetime Member 279 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I currently upload to LoTW from my HOME location in FL. I am putting together a station at our new 2nd home in South Dakota. I will be using my same call but need to add a 2nd location in tQSL. I have read and re-read the LoTW instructions on the ARRL website in addition to a few others instructions specific to various logging programs.

What is NOT clear to me is the specific instructions about whether to place my callsign in the first box of the "Add Station Location" screen OR whether I should have "None." I currently have my callsign in my "Home" location that is currently being used for uploads from FL. However I'm not sure whether to place my callsign in the South Dakota location or to have "None."

It appears when "None" is used, depending on whether you have more than one certificate, tQSL handles the uploads slightly differently. I have only 1 LoTW certificate so I don't need to worry about more than one.

As an aside, I use Ham Radio Deluxe to manage my uploads to LoTW. HRD has a box to specify the location to use for LoTW.

So, for you folks who have 1 certificate but more than one location, do you use your callsign or "None" in the Callsign field of tQSL??

................Bob

2. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It can be a separate station location under the same call.

3. KG7WGX

KG7WGX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I use multiple station locations for when I operate at rental properties in different states. Same call sign.

I would not suggest getting "clever" by adding /<n> or /P or anything like that. This is no longer a requirement and all it does is confuse logging software.

To set up a new station location, you should look up the grid, etc. for that location before you run TQSL.

4. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Lifetime Member 279 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I appreciate the replies but neither address my question. Do I place my call sign in that field described or "none."

Well??

...............Bob

5. N1EN

N1EN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Select the desired callsign from the dropdown

upload_2021-6-6_21-29-37.png

6. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Enter under Station Locations. Use your call.

7. AA6YQ

AA6YQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

From the ARRL's "Using LoTW":

A Station Location specifies an operating location and, optionally, a Callsign Certificate; it contains information you'd typically include on your QSL card.

If when submitting QSOs to LoTW you select a Station Location that specifies a Callsign Certificate, TQSL will submit your QSOs with that Station Location and Callsign Certificate.

If when submitting QSOs to LoTW you select a Station Location that doesn't specify a Callsign Certificate (its Call Sign is set to [None]),

• if you have exactly one Callsign Certificate whose DXCC entity matches the DXCC entity in the selected Station Location, TQSL will submit your QSOs with that Station Location and Callsign Certificate
    • if you have more than one Callsign Certificate whose DXCC entity matches the DXCC entity in the selected Station Location, TQSL will prompt you to select the Callsign Certificate with which to submit your QSOs
    https://lotw.arrl.org/lotw-help/stnloc/

8. W4PG

Thanks, Dave. That is exactly the part that was confusing. It actually appears I can put either my callsign OR none in and it will work either way since I only have 1 certificate with LoTW. However, I will put my callsign in the new station location then tQSL will use that 1 certificate I have and be done with it.

...............Bob

9. AA6YQ

AA6YQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That's correct. Originally, a Station Location was required to specify a "Call Sign", which meant that users who made QSOs with several different station callsigns from the same geographic location were forced to define multiple Station Locations: one for each station callsign. If you had C different station callsigns that you used from L different geographic locations, then you had to define C x L different Station Locations!

To eliminate this combinatorial explosion, TQSL was modified to permit a Station Location to not specify a "Call Sign" - the None option -- so that one Station Location could be used with several different station callsigns. To submit QSOs using a Station Location whose "Call Sign" selector specifies None, you must specify both a Station Location and a Callsign Certificate when you invoke TQSL.

If you use one station callsign from two different Station Locations, it's easiest to just specify that station callsign in each Station Location. Then you need only specify a Station Location to TQSL when you upload QSOs.

W4PG likes this.