LOST MY BACKUP HARD DRIVE

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by KS2K, Sep 26, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. KS2K

KS2K Ham Member QRZ Page

Last night I lost my backup hard drive. I will try to keep this to the point.
    The computer is Windows Vista Business, 2GHz processor, 6Gb Memory, C; 1Tb hard drive, back up hard drive 500Gb.

My ONLY goal is to be able to clone my C: Drive to my backup drive so if the C; goes west, I have a complete clone ready to go. I was using AMOEI Backupper. Doing the disk clone did not result in all files being cloned. The AOMEI tech…in China has had me doing all kinds of tests. None resulted in a complete clone. Fast forward to last night.

I got the following email from AOMEI Tech, instructions on what they wanted me to try next, this has been going on for 2 weeks.;

“We advise you can disable the VSS service on Windows, then try to clone the disk again.
    The method to disable VSS is as follows:
    1. Open windows service
    2. Find Volume Shadow Copy in the service, close it and disable it”

I did as they instructed found the Shadow Copy (no idea what this is or does) it was set to Manual.
    I click on the disable and closed. When I then tried to do the back up, I got the msg reading files, nothing was being copied to my backup, after 30 minutes of nothing, I clicked on Close, would not close, Nothing would stop the AOMEI backup running. Even Windows restart and shutdown would not work. I was forced to do a Hard Stop. Shut off the power. Restarted the computer went back in and clicked for the Shadow Copy to be manual like it was when this mess started. Its now 2am, time to quit and go to bed.

This morning the computer boots up normal and everything appears to work ok, but my backup hard drive 500Gb is not seen. I went to Start>Computer. The C: is there, my back up HD does not show.
    I then went to device manager >hard disk and I see 2 hard drives. Forgot to mention, this AM, I did a System Restore to a earlier date, did not fix the missing hard drive

I am lost. What to I have to do to get my Back up recognized and working. After I get my backup drive once again recognized, THEN we can talk about a proper clone program, not some cheap China junk as AOMEI. When it comes to computer stuff like this I am a complete Novice. I will follow your instructions, but please tell me in detail what to do. Thank You
    KS2K

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
  2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

If the drive letter is missing, You can repair the disk using "diskpart"
    All data will be lost ! There most likely is none.

Run > CMD as Admin
    Then > Diskpart
    list disk
    select disk # (#) !!! make sure the number is correct (Disk 0 is the system disk, Do not select that one !!)
    list disk (verify # is correct) * will be the selected disk.
    clean
    create partition primary
    active
    select partition 1

That should assign the disk a drive letter, Then you can format it using Windows. Or the Diskpart command format fs=NTSF will work.

I never clone a disk while the OS is running, Because to many files are in use and the clone fails. SAFE MODE can work.

Good Luck. Below is a list of all Diskpart commands. Use carefully.

upload_2020-9-26_11-45-5.png

3. KS2K

KS2K Ham Member QRZ Page

ka9jlm;
    Thanks for your reply. I am sitting at List Disk. You say Disk 0 is system
    On List Disk it shows Disk 0 is 466GB free 466gb and Disk 1 is 932 GB and 0B free

I know my system disk is 1TB, in no way does have 0 free. Only my Sat stuff is on the system so very little is used
    and the backup is 500gb
    I need your advice

Looking on Device Manage and also Bios I can see both drives.

ks2K

4. KA9JLM

Disk 0 is normally the first drive on the system. The main Boot disk. Unless you set disk 1 in BIOS as boot.

Can you disconnect the backup drive to see what one disappears ?, Just to be on the safe side. Or disable it in the BIOS.

It does sound like 0 is the backup drive because disk part reports close to proper size.

But you need to make sure !!!

5. KA9JLM

As another note, Some cloning software needs a Larger backup Disk, Than the one you are trying to clone. Or it can run out of disk space. :oops:

Because it copies every sector, In use with data or not.

True disk cloning does that. Sometimes the drives need to be the exact same size to make a True exact clone.

6. KS2K

KS2K Ham Member QRZ Page

I hope last question;
    Went to format Format fs=NTSF

Virtual Disk Service error
    File System Incompatible

Does this Windows VISTA need Fat32 instead
    Command format ??

ks2k

7. KA9JLM

Normally not. Fat32 is fine. It just has a smaller file size limit.

Go into Windows and see what your system disk is.

Did you get your Drive letter back ?

upload_2020-9-26_13-29-20.png

8. KS2K

KS2K Ham Member QRZ Page

Windows>computer>properties shows system disk NTSF
    Went through each of your steps no problem
    Then went to format, Format fs=NTSF get file system incompatible
    I just did a re-boot, Windows>computer only system disk shows up
    Back up disk still missing
    Thank you for your help
    Ks2K

9. KA9JLM

That is a bit strange.

You can go back thru the Diskpart steps.

Then try, format quick fs=fat32

That should work for sure. NTFS may not be supported on the version of Diskpart that your Vista machine has.

10. G4COE

G4COE Ham Member QRZ Page

Just wondering...... If you can't see it in 'My Computer' can you see it in Disk Management? I had one similar where 'it just dissipeared'.... all I had to do to get it back was to give it a drive letter.... it was in there but with NO drive letter making the drive invisible.

Dave