Lost CAT (control)

Discussion in 'OS: Mac OS' started by AG8NT, Jul 16, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. AG8NT

AG8NT Ham Member QRZ Page

The trouble began a couple weeks ago when WSJT-X started going wonky. I would transmit... but my IC-7300 would not stop transmitting after the standard 13 seconds.

My troubleshooting efforts have been all over the map -- from updating software to an "all reset"on the 7300.

The upshot is I can't transmit using any software program -- WSJT-X, JS8Call or fldigi. I can see a waterfall most but not all of the time. All the windows that are supposed to populate on WSJT-X and JS8Call appear to work properly. But on fldigi, I can't key the transmitter. (And initializing on flrig puts me in an endless loop where I'm asked to select the proper port -- which I always do, but it never helps.) Meanwhile, clicking "Test CAT" on WSJT-X and JS8Call will sometimes generate one or another Hamlib error. But much more often, the button just stays gray.

I've searched this and other forums high and low and I'm at wit's end. Any thoughts?

Dave AG8NT

2. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Try low power on a dummy load.

3. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My major gripe about digital modes in general is that most problems are computer or computer OS derived. If you are not really into computers why bother? It requires two hobbies to play in the digital arena. Not all are interested. To those who enjoy troubleshooting computer problems I say FB. Knock yourself out!

4. K3DCW

K3DCW QRZ Lifetime Member #212 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I would tend to agree with KP4SX's advice: this sounds like an RFI issue. One other possibility is either the use of a worn-out USB cable (bad connectors) or simply a cable that is about to fail. Try replacing the cable to the rig and see if that helps. Finally, make sure that you have the latest driver from SILabs.

5. KE5MC

KE5MC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Dave,
    One area that can get you into transmit issues are transmit commands coming from two sources. Good example and one which I use is SignaLink USB which may apply to using a 7300 but I'm not sure. In WSJT command can be set for xmit on/off or VOX on the SignaLink can be used, but not both. If both are used my K3 gets very confused about what it should be doing. I believe the 7300 with the USB port can have CAT and audio on that cable similar to my 7100 I had a few years back. I don't recall if a VOX function is available on the cable, but something to check.
    Good Luck

6. AG8NT

AG8NT Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm embarrassed to report it was not an RFI issue, nor the USB cable nor the driver.

Somewhere along the line my settings in the IC-7300 got messed up -- I have no idea how. Especially problematic, I suspect, was the CI-V USB Port, which was set to "Link to [REMOTE]".

Anyway, I'm up and running again. As a fail-safe, I'm re-downloading all the correct settings from the radio to my RT Systems software (Windows, alas, although I see it's available for Mac now). Also I'm bookmarking all the '7300 settings that K0PIR has put on his site: https://www.k0pir.us/icom-7300-wsjt-x-ft8-easy-way/.

Thanks to all for the input -- I'm sure it will come in handy sometime in the future!

73 and thanks again,
    Dave AG8NT

K3DCW likes this.