ad: cq2k-1

Loss of two meter simplex frequencies IMMINENT in Texas!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WX5VHF, Jul 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W8OTR

W8OTR Ham Member QRZ Page

2. KC7VE

KC7VE Ham Member QRZ Page

Even these simple words say, in plain English, that coordinated has priority over uncoordinated. And since the coordination committe is the one who "coordinated" the pair, you can bet the FCC will side with them. "Unless" has a specific meaning. "unless" is used to imply "not equal responsibility" as stated in the previous sentence.

Granted there is no "authority" in the legal sense. The FCC always retains that. But if they honor the decisions of the coordination committee, that is as good as having "real authority", with regards to coordinated vs uncoordinated. If there was truely "no authority" in the real sense, not the semantic difference, no one would bother going through them. The reason they do, is there is some sort of "officialness" in going through the committee.

Like I said, semantics. Distinction without a difference.

3. N4UFO

N4UFO Ham Member QRZ Page

As stated in my post above, which I began typing before your post showed up, no one has correctly stated what coordination is or how it works yet in this thread... There was a specific case in California where the FCC sided with the pre-existing UNcoordinated repeater... it was there when the coordination council made it's recommendation to another station and the FCC determined that the other repeater was already there... In other words, NOBODY can run out and coordinate away a frequency that is already in use... No different that an HF net trying to boot someone off "their frequency" just because the clock ticked to a certain time... If the frequency is already in use, it's already in use! Coordination gives no more authority to a frequency than publishing a net list...

73, Kevin N4UFO

4. KC7VE

KC7VE Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree there are exceptions. But for the most part, I suspect the historical data on disputes like this are biased toward honoring decisions of a coordination committee.

Regarding frequencies already in use. EVERY frequency has "already been in use" since the day they were first allocated to the amateur band. NONE have sat around unused.

But I understand your point.

5. K6WXA

K6WXA Ham Member QRZ Page

D-Star... like EchoLink, is NOT ham radio.

6. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

I couldn't care less what they do with repeaters, but they don't have any authoriy to control MY station operations.

In these United States, amateur radio simplex station operation is specifically defined, controlled and governed by the Federal Communication Commission as published in accordance to Part 97 regulations and regardless of the mode, frequencies assigned and/or band of operation involved. Such operations could be occurring on the 2m band, 6m band, HF band, - it doesn't matter, there's still only one supreme authority on the matter and it isn't a special interest radio organization.

How dare the Texas Two Step VHF Society even imply that federally governed radio amateurs, should entirely ignore Part 97 FCC rules and federal regulations as written and suggest operating our stations in accordance to a set of pseudo regulations which is entirely created by a special interest radio organization instead.

I never recognized any radio organization having any such authority to control the operation of my station in the past, and have no intentions of recognizing any such authority on these matters anytime in the future.

Until the FCC rules are amended and a docket is published by the FCC to reflect these changes in operation taking place in the federal register, which is under the exclusive control of the federal government of the United States, the suggested Texas Two Step VHF Society frequency assignments simply don't exist and mean absolutely nothing to any federally licensed amateur anywhere in the United States, including the state of Texas.

Until such changes are officially published by a federal authority on the matter, I will continue operating my station according to the law as outlined in the current Part 97 regulations and in accordance to any existing frequency assignments and.or modes of operation deemed applicable to federal law.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  7. N4UFO

N4UFO Ham Member QRZ Page

Now who is using semantics... LOL! (That is stated in fun, not disrespect)... If you look back though, I did say, "actually IN USE and HAS BEEN in use prior"... my intended meaning being, "in use prior to and up until"...

But most of the ideas you state, similar to the attitude of the majority of hams, that coordination by some self-appointed, self-regulated council is somehow tantamount to FCC approval is simply based on a fallacy... A fallacy that certain folks like to promote, but it's not based on anything substantive. Coordination bodies are just a group of individuals that have no more legal standing than any other group... What if two different coordination groups recommended conflicting coordinations??? It would go back to exactly what I said. The FCC would look at who was there first. ALL, I repeat ALL a coordination does is place the PRIMARY, repeat PRIMARY (not SOLE) responsibility for resolution onto the non coordinated station... And once that station establishes it's proper existence on the frequency, whether prior to an in error coordination or in spite of an "on paper only" coordination, the burden falls on the other party. (The paper only is admittedly a hard one to prove... how do you prove a repeater isn't there? Just because you can't key it up doesn't mean it's not there... Your only hope is that they can't prove actual interference because they have no actual repeater on the air.) ;)

Let me just say I know something of what I speak... I was an assistant repeater coordinator back in the "wild west days" of a certain area in the early 90s... (meaning before there was an actual board or council). We were just guys that volunteered for the job. Why did I quit? Like some of the other guys... we got tired of the threats and cussings for doing what was essentially a volunteer job. These days... I stay on HF, 6m and 2m SSB.

73, N4UFO

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  8. K2WH

K2WH Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

9. N5CEY

N5CEY Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't want to start a fight, but you obviously have DEEP pockets from the looks of your qrz.com page. Not all of us can afford to upgrade to an expensive ICOM new toy just to be able to say we have "D-star" capability. You want to call us cry babies - well ok, but just remember we are all not born with an obnoxiously large bank account.

10. K4IJA

K4IJA Ham Member QRZ Page

Is I-Crumb financing this???
    Tom K4IJA

11. K2WH

146.520 Co-ordination

I think I'll petition the FCC for a new band plan on 2 meters that specifically makes 146.520 my co-ordinated frequency.

Still hogwash. This VHF Society reminds me of the committees that govern, control or try to regulate lifestyles in a COA development.

K2WH

12. K2WH

Here, Here.

K2WH

13. K3XC

K3XC Ham Member QRZ Page

As a RF capacity engineer for one of the two large cellular providers I can tell you that we use the same principles to clear spectrum. This discussion is really about the advancement of a hobby who is being left in the dust by modern technology.

73, K3XC

14. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice try and for the record, I will add I have nothing against D Star.

I DO have issues with repeater coordinating councils who are attempting to regulate areas of the amateur radio spectrum which are clearly well beyond their scope and authority.

The advancement of modern technology isn't the issue.

15. KJ4SLT

KJ4SLT Ham Member QRZ Page

This discussion (like all re-allocation discussions) is really about a hobby that will eventually be squashed into the dust under the foot of Big Business attempting to profit from modern technology.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.