Losing my mind: Code 10 This Device Cannot Start (Yaesu Com Driver)

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by K4TLS, Sep 17, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. K4TLS

K4TLS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've been messing around for months trying to get a portable Ft8 system going.

Rig: Yaesu FT891
    Soundcard: Signalink
    Computer ASUS L210M

So I DL'd the special com port drivers from Yaesu, installed them and...nothing. Couldn't find them in device manager despite "View Hidden Files" turned on.

So I went into manual com port installation and installed them that way. Now they show up, but have an error message: "This device cannot start (Code 10)"

I have uninstalled them, reinstalled them, rebooted the computer, everything I can think of.

Now I'm worried I wasted my money on this cheap laptop and it can't even run the ports properly.

Anyone have any advice before I take a sledge hammer to the whole shebang (except the FT891, it works fine).

thanks!

2. N1EN

N1EN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm not an FT891 owner, but as a long shot.... some of my wacky USB errors have been caused by insufficient power getting to the USB device.

If you are plugging the cable into a USB hub, perhaps try plugging it into the computer itself (perhaps also trying with everything non-essential unplugged).

If you are already plugging the cable into the computer itself...perhaps try a different USB port.

3. NB3R

NB3R Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Is the cable attached to the radio and the radio turned on? COM port won't show otherwise.

4. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

I would start from here: This device cannot start (Code 10)

There are tons of tutorials on the web on how to correct this.

5. K4TLS

K4TLS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Ah, let me try that. Maybe manually installing the drivers was the wrong thing to do because I didn’t see them when I installed them. But you’re right I was looking without the radio being plugged in to the computer. I’ll get back to you on this one! Thanks

6. W5UAA

W5UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

You don't say whether or not your USB Hub is "powered" or not. If it still doesn't work connected directly to your laptop, try a "powered" USB hub--one that comes with a 5 volt 2 amp wall wart.

I've learned this lesson a couple of times now.

(Very common problem these days -- computer doesn't provide enough USB power to the radio. I know, I know... you'd think the radio wouldn't need USB power.)

7. KC4WEB

KC4WEB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Make sure you install the drivers while logged into Windows as an administrator. Then check the device manager (Windows Key + X, Device Manager) for any port errors.