Loop on Ground (LoG) antenna

Discussion in 'The Low Bands - 630/2200 Meters - VLF' started by WA4ILH, Jan 3, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. WA4ILH

WA4ILH Subscriber QRZ Page

I recently installed a 30 X 40 ft. Loop on Ground (LoG) antenna in my back yard to try to hear some LF/MF signals on my Kenwood TS-480SAT transceiver. I can hear a few data signals in the vicinity of 472 KHz but I am unable to decode them at this time due to a problem with my laptop. (I’m working on this, ... durn upgrade wiped out my comms ports) These amateur signals are very weak. I can hear WWVB in Ft. Collins, CO. on 60 KHZ with a fairly strong signal here in S. Texas and I believe I am hearing NAA Cutler ME. on 24 KHz which is, of course, encrypted but running MegaWatts. The LoG surprised me in that it picks up FAR less noise than my 25’ top loaded flagpole vertical with marginal ground radials.
    Tom WA4ILH

KF5KWO likes this.
  2. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

There was a recent discussion on eHam about the LoG. Differing opinions as always, but what else is new?;)

I'm interested in trying it as an RX only antenna. KK5JY should be commended for his experiments.

KF5KWO likes this.
  3. WA4ILH

WA4ILH Subscriber QRZ Page

I don’t know if I could really call it a LoG. Our soil conductivity here in S. Texas is so poor it is probably (electrically) several feet above the surface of the lawn, even though it is lying on the ground. I think a 9:1 balun might help.
    Tom WA4ILH

4. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

You think YOUR soil conductivity is bad? Here in Interior Alaska, the "true" ground reflection height is about 45 feet underground! (Which is why you can lay an 80 meter dipole on the ground and it works just fine. :)

5. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

I would be very happy with that in my suburban postage stamp sized backyard.:D

6. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

you know, soil conductivity is an odd thing. I live very near salt water and our conductivity is very good. BUT if you go 1/2 mile West, it goes to crap.

7. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Such a small loop probably needs a lot of experimenting with X cancelling and Z matching, maybe a temporary tuner to determine settings to make it work on VLF ! (and it would be quite narrow banded when properly matched.)
    good luck and have fun :D

8. VE7PJR

VE7PJR Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a 200-foot LoG. Works well for me -- the lower the frequency the better. I have pulled in NDBs from all over Canada and the US.

It works pretty well even up at 30m.

Chuck VE7PJR

9. KF5LJW

KF5LJW Ham Member QRZ Page

Tom I am on my second LoG antenna in 3 years. Moved from TX a year ago. Pretty much have it optimized. 9:1 balun is paramount and will make a significant difference. Super easy to make since it is a RX only antenna a very small binocular, and small 30 AWG can be used and threaded up real quick. Do that and the antenna will really surprise you.

You might also try playing with Length like shorter and see what happens. Larger loops perhaps work better LF and MF, but sacrifice higher frequencies. Mine is 60-foot or 15 x 15 feet, and any frequency higher than 15 Mhz is useless. MF commercial AM band is excellent up to 40 meters, 20 meters, decent, above that nothing.

Definitely get a 9:1

10. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My soil conductivity is equal to sand and broken glass.