Loop On Ground Antenna

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KD5W, Jul 18, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. G0OIL

G0OIL Ham Member QRZ Page

Useful, thanks. I'll give one of these a go this winter. I've experimented with all sorts of RX loops in attempt to get past the crud polluting HF these days and had heard about LOGs before/
    I think a big part of the trick with these RX antennas is to choke off the RF from the coax braid to prevent pickup of crud as they get near the house. I also use multi turn toroid chokes on the outside wall before the coax comes into the shack

2. KC2G

KC2G Ham Member QRZ Page

A LoG has directionality too, unless all the models and measurements are wrong and it's really the world's first Actual Isotropic Antenna.

And yes, it has rather low "efficiency" (peak gain), but as anyone knows, efficiency is not a figure of merit for receive antennas. Unless it's extremely low, efficiency has no effect on the usability of a receive antenna. A K9AY has similarly low gain; is that a "poor" antenna that's being "rescued" by something-or-other? No, it's a great receive antenna, that would be poor if you were silly enough to use it for transmit.

Now, is a LoG a great receive antenna like a K9AY? Nope. Its pattern is nothing great, with just a few shallow nulls in the horizontal plane, and a generally NVIS elevation pattern, as you'd expect for a low horizontal antenna. But it's a perfectly usable receive antenna, that can be built for cheap, that can be set up in an hour, that can be installed in places where various obstacles would prevent other kinds of antennas, that requires practically zero maintenance. It's not a dream antenna, but it's a perfectly reasonable one, worth playing around with, especially for people who can't move their TX antennas away from a noise source, and for one reason or another can't put up another design (or can't do it yet).