ad: hrd-2

Loop-On-Ground Antenna

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by AI5DH, Aug 1, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AI5DH

AI5DH Ham Member QRZ Page

Great then you are a candidate for the LoG antenna.

Exact same core and design. I even used Plastic Hobby Box to keep ground out of the circuit. Take note I am not sure this is needed or not. In all the versions you will find including Matt Roberts KK5JY Blog only use 1 transformer and run coax directly to radio, and that ground the coax through the radio. So based on that it is not required in any documents I have found to be Balanced. But one of my specialties is Noise on Critical Circuits, using Balanced circuits not referenced to ground eliminates Common Mode Noise which is a good thing if you have a TX or pulse generated noise nearby like a CATV.

2. K0OKS

K0OKS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Sounds interesting. Maybe pair that with an instrumentation amplifier at the antenna (and probably lose the matching network altogether in that case).

I think I may still see if I can sneak some chokes out at the pole end of my UVerse line. They conveniently put a junction box at chest height on the pole when they buried the line!

3. K0OKS

Interestingly, it seems to be doing a good job of reduce lighting crash noise. I am not sure what the reasoning would be for that, perhaps because it is removing noise in one polarization??

4. AI5DH

NOTZU received and understood. Sounds like we are on the same page. I think we can agree on a few points.

• You are not an ideal candidate for LoG because restricting conditions are not experienced at your location.
    • Antenna works well at low frequencies below 10 MHz and a good candidate for if conditions are met.
    • Stupid simple and fast to set up to try.
    • If built is the one of the most inexpensive and easiest antennas to build and install.
    Before you call it quits, tweak it a bit to optimize the antenna like KOOKS did. Not much more time to loose to confirm you are not a candidate. You might get a pleasant surprise like KOOS did.

5. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I compared my LoG to my low dipole (25’) and the dipole was better for every station I heard. There is hardly any local noise to overcome here on the low bands so it just ends up to be a gain contest, not the forte of the LoG.

I’m glad that Derek started this thread, it was fun to check out this unusual antenna. If one does have a local noise problem I would certainly suggest trying it.

KA0HCP likes this.
  6. AI5DH

Agree and that was my point, it is a niche application antenna for us SOB's in restricted space and high noise.

I am happy you tried it. It was Super Simple to try right? I will be honest and upfront with everyone including the two people that lead me down this road. When I first heard about the LoG, I thought they were smoking dope watching the Bug Races on the TV. (White noise static on TV screen with no signal). Then I slept on it for a night and thought about it and it made perfect sense. Got up next morning and within 15 minutes had the material and radio setup and test.

Exactly what I have been looking for. I am not alone as there are hundreds of poor SOB's like me living on a smaller lot or HOA with high noise issues making it almost impossible to receive the lower bands like 80/160 and commercial broadcast AM stations. Just last night I was listening on 80 meters and heard a lot of traffic from Europe and South America 5 x 9. I was astounded by how good it worked. So if you are like me, give it a try. All you need is about 80 feet of any kind of insulated wire to lay on the grass and 5 minutes to try it out.

Thank you NOTZU.

KA0HCP likes this.
  7. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Super simple indeed. I didn’t even unroll any antenna or hookup wire, just used a long extension cord as the loop element.

K5AKM likes this.
  8. K0OKS

While the LOG does seem to help with the local noise (quite a bit in some cases) I also found it helped *significantly* in cutting down on distant (300-600mi) lightning crashes. Last night there was a huge line of storms from South Dakota down to Mexico. There was a TON of static noise on my primary antenna. With the LOG it sounded like a relatively quiet night.

The only drawback I have found so far was that a station I communicate with who is pretty much north of me was weaker due to the directional nature of the LOG. (Mine is oriented more east and west.) So now I want to lay down a second LOG, or perhaps devise a method with two transformers boxes and some relays that would let me change the orientation.

It’s fun to experiment with.

9. AI5DH

You know what. I have thought about that. It would be super easy to do. All you would need is 2 x SPDT 12 volt relays to make it work.

10. AI5DH

KOOKS I found this document you will enjoy. Will tell you everything you need to know about making a Transformer for LW, MW and HF up to 5 MHz. The meat and potatoes are on the last page in the Appendix.

Enjoy