ad: NI4L-2

Looky loo buyers

Discussion in 'Swapmeet Talk' started by KB7QPS, Feb 4, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KB7QPS

KB7QPS Ham Member QRZ Page

No, you're missing the point. The problem is the price. I was asking top dollar for the radio. If say I asked $500 for the radio instead with the exact same ad, it would have sold in a heartbeat.

I put it on eBay and sold it for $100 more than here to a buyer who asked zero questions. Same description. Difference is that he wanted to buy the radio, folks here didn't.

N7AGA and N3AB like this.
  2. N3AB

N3AB Subscriber QRZ Page

My two cents....I never ask anyone why they are selling. I feel it's none of my (or anyone's) business. The seller may be going through financial difficulties, a divorce, medical issues, whatever. I think it's irrelevant to the sale, and the seller doesn't need to broadcast via his "add" (sic) to the world what his personal or financial difficulties may be.

Last edited: May 4, 2019
    KK4YPQ, N1VAU, KD8DEY and 2 others like this.
  3. AH7I

AH7I Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm always extremely wary of something from 'Poor Me'.
    "my loss, your gain" seems to grate the most and is an instant no, regardless of how good the deal looks.

KD1W and AJ4GQ like this.
  4. KW7XT

KW7XT Ham Member QRZ Page

I hardly ever bid on ebay anymore because I find that the people I bid against are paying crazy prices for used equipment. For instance, why would I pay $500 or more for a used FT-891 when I can get a new one with the 3 year warranty for $100 to $129 more? This does not make sense to me in the world of ham radio. For about $100 more I would always buy new. Maybe it is the excitement or "gamble" of the auction. Anyway, I believe the more info from the seller the better. I never need to ask questions on well constructed ads showing the serial number and radio powered up. Jut saying...

5. KW7XT

KW7XT Ham Member QRZ Page

Let me add that I am not looking for a screaming deal on used gear, just a reasonable deal that offers real savings over a new radio, etc.

6. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ Ham Member QRZ Page

$100 more? How much more after eBay fees, etc.?
    Totally different description. Here's the description from your eBay ad.
    Yaesu FT-897D with FP-30 Internal Power Supply - VERY NICE. Condition is Used. Shipped with USPS Priority Mail.
    Included is a microphone, AC power cable, and computer control cable. Anything else not shown in the pictures is not included in the auction.
    The item is in excellent condition. No damage or other issues with the unit. Powers on as it should with no known issues.

Please note the eBay ad was for an 897D The eBay ad also had five good pictures.
    Here's the description from your QRZ ad for the 897, not a D model.
    For sale is the Yaesu FT-897 transceiver with FP-30 internal power supply.
    Works as it should.

The QRZ ad had one good picture, the other three were mostly too dark to be usable.
    I have to agree with KW7XT and WB9YZU, sellers often don't do themselves any favors. It seems that was the case here.

KP4SX likes this.
  7. AH7I

AH7I Ham Member QRZ Page

Kicking tires or learning whether one is comfortable doing the deal? If a price is high enough that it's not going anywhere while someone collects information and takes a week to decide.... Well, that's where the tire kicking comes from.

8. N4AAB

N4AAB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If I see something I might be able to use, I look at the price, the description, and the photos. Not necessairly in that order. Due to limited income I rarely look at items for sale here.

9. KG7FIU

KG7FIU Ham Member QRZ Page

OK, what you say is accurate.
    However, buyers often list items with glowing praise -- "in absolutely pristine condition", "superb performance", etc.
    It kind of leaves one scratching his/her head, as to why someone would even want to part with such an item... Things aren't adding up.
    You know what they say: "If it sounds too good to be true..."

10. AG5CK

AG5CK Ham Member QRZ Page

You have to pay extra for superb and pristine. I can usually tell when someone wants too much for an item after reading the first few lines of the ad. If I can get a new one for 15 to 20% more I'll go with the new one.