Looky loo buyers

Discussion in 'Swapmeet Talk' started by KB7QPS, Feb 4, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. KE0NSK

KE0NSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Unfortunately, that is the way it goes. Your asking price is more than the average price on ebay, and ebay offers better protection to a buyer. Not many people will take more risk and pay more.

2. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yep consignment is an excellent option, especially for vehicles that need paperwork, buyer handholding, maybe a loan, or potential liability like weapons. I consigned a boat a few years ago and it worked out great. We’re getting out of the RV camping-boating scene, so I’m getting ready to consign our 5th wheel and our current boat.

3. KB7QPS

KB7QPS Ham Member QRZ Page

I carefully reviewed sold items on Ebay and think I priced it about fair. Some went as high as $1,000 and some went $500. Mine includes the FP-30 internal power supply, which is a couple hundred extra new.

Regardless, you are correct that my price is probably higher than folks here want to pay. Thus, I have cancelled my listings here and put it on eBay. We will see in a week how much it goes for.

4. KD7RUR

KD7RUR Ham Member QRZ Page

5. KD7RUR

KD7RUR Ham Member QRZ Page

I went through the same problems when I started listing items for sale on Craigslist.
    Bored lookie lous wasting my time through emails.
    I found that the people that called me on the telephone and followed instructions for calling on the telephone came out and bought the item almost 100% of the time.
    After going through the email tag game I got to the point where I wouldn't even list my email address only my telephone number. I had to sharpen up my listing when I had a ham in Iowa call me at 4 AM. I then listed in the ad "Call between 6 and 8 PM pacific time.
    I also found a lookie lou shoot down was listing "Offers accepted in person with cash in hand only"
    When they asked "Would you take" I always answer I can't hear you until you have come out and actually seen the item for sale.

6. WR1O

WR1O Ham Member QRZ Page

In defense of the "box people" I will not buy an expensive HF rig or other item if the shipper does not possess the original packing and shipping material and is willing to double box it. It is the only way to know an item is packed and shipped properly. The box and inserts are very important to some people. I have seen complete TS-940 boxes sell for $100 just so the radio can be shipped safely. Just some food for thought.

7. K1LKP

K1LKP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

8. KB7QPS

KB7QPS Ham Member QRZ Page

I securely packed the radio that I sold in a double box with plenty of packing. It arrived just fine in Puerto Rico, shipping from Seattle, Washington.

I actually sold it for almost $100 more (prior to fees) on eBay than I was trying to here on QRZ....

9. KW7XT

KW7XT Ham Member QRZ Page

In my experience trying to purchase used Ham gear on ebay and QRZ (which I like by the way) it appears that sellers don't often help themselves in the sales process. Everyone is asking top dollar for their gear - maybe within not much more than $125 or so of new prices. They don't say why they are selling or often do not show the serial number or give age of the radio or describe if radio has known issues resolved. 10 year old radios cost a fortune - has no one heard of depreciation? Some radios are no longer supported by the manufactures. How come prices are so high? Buyers have to put a lot of trust in the sale.

10. WB9YZU

WB9YZU Ham Member QRZ Page

I have to agree with KW7XT, sellers often don't do themselves any favors.

I read the QRZ add. I hope you take this constructively, because it is meant that way.
    The ad said absolutely nothing except that you were selling a radio with a power supply and showed some cable or other.
    What was the cable? No Specs, No Condition, No reason for selling.
    Instead you indicated to email you if any questions. Well, you got questions :)

If you want to avoid the phone call asking questions, answer them when you post the item.
    It's not hard. Ask yourself what would attract you to an ad for a radio, then think of any questions one might ask.
    Put it all in your add. Since you're not limited for space here, you can get very verbal.

Ebay helps you through the process, and even coaches you a bit; I'm sure you'll do a bit better there.

KW7XT:
    Some people are willing to pay well for 10yr old radios. Radios don't depreciate a ton, except at Hamfests where everyone wants a super bargain and the seller just wants to unload it ;)

Also it helps to clean the grunge off the radio before taking photos of it :D
    You'be surprised how many folks don't do that then complain they "only got" X "for it".

Last edited: May 4, 2019
    AJ4GQ likes this.