ad: elecraft

Looky loo buyers

Discussion in 'Swapmeet Talk' started by KB7QPS, Feb 4, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. KB7QPS

KB7QPS Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm getting fed up with QRZ Forums and the looky loo buyers that it seems to attract. I have a Yaesu FT-897 that I am trying to sell.

Ad is posted here. Includes really good pictures and shows everything that is included.

http://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/yaesu-ft-897-with-fp-30-internal-power-supply.643385/

I have had 5 people contact me, asking questions. Two people have been offering trades to trade me radios, but their radios aren't as worth as much as mine plus I don't know if they will work or even if they will send me their radios anyway.

The third person sent 4 e-mails asking details questions - like item condition when it my pictures are very clear - and I answered every one in a positive manner. He never paid.

The fourth person just contacted me today, but since I don't have the "original box" he's not going to buy it. Come on - original box? It's a cardboard box. It does nothing for the performance of the radio. Nor did my ad show an "original box" included with the purchase.

Sigh.

WB0MPB likes this.
  2. N3AB

N3AB Subscriber QRZ Page

You mean no one asked you why you are selling it?

KD4MOJ likes this.
  3. WB0MPB

WB0MPB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Will you send payment Paypal, Friends and Family?:D:D:D:D:D

Sarcasm for those that don't understand.

N9YB and KD4MOJ like this.
  4. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah it can be real frustrating.

I’m not a huge online seller or anything but my experience in general, including Craigslist, is that the number of looky-loos is proportional to the price. So if you are trying to get top dollar, expect most people to look but not buy and it takes a while to get the sale closed, if ever. On the other hand if the item is priced lower, especially if it’s a good deal, then a serious buyer will show fairly quickly and close.

I usually price an item to move, because I don’t want to waste a bunch of time on it for a small additional amount of money, if any. (And the older I get, the more valuable is my remaining time on this planet!)

KG5THG, K8XG, N1VAU and 1 other person like this.
  5. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

Try giving something away on Craigslist. In this case it was a sailboat w/aluminum mast and a trailer, but, there were restrictions, like tires on the trailer were bad, tires were sunk in mud, no sail, no title and don't look to me for help! ... and the response it generated from everybody and their brother.

It took a couple weeks to weed out "the unqualified" to those few who responded with the equipment and will to come get it. On the last day before we were going to basically hack it up, finally, one REASONABLE individual responded sanely to our follow-up query about could he handle it given conditions ...

K8XG likes this.
  6. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Hmm, well that’s not exactly what a lot of folks would consider free, since there was considerable work involved to pull it out and get it titled, etc.

When I’ve offered immediately usable but low value stuff for free on CL it’s gone within hours.

7. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I gave up selling things on the internet after having an individual contact me 3 times for additional pictures. I accommodated him each time with photos to his email address. After the third time he commented on what good shape the item was but said he knew he couldn't afford the item but liked my photos!

Years ago I got rid of lots of HD motorcycle stuff. Once people got into bidding wars it was amazing what people ended up paying! I never had a problem with unsatisfied customers.

8. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

The mast had value, but, we wanted the boat GONE. It was a big mast. The reason most ppl had called us in the first place. Think like a 'scrapper', and the reason we withheld the address until a qualified picker-upper could be found.

N0TZU likes this.
  9. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

My experience is that those who ask a lot of questions and want a ton of extra pictures never buy it, or on Ebay never bid for it other than low ball bids that don't stand a chance.
    They also can be soooo picky about what they are looking at that they may NEVER be happy with anything they do buy and can be a LOT of problems down the road.
    I just ignore them. They are more trouble than they are worth! Some I have blocked from bidding on an item in the past.

On QRZ.com you have even less obligation to deal with such people as that. Sell it to who you want to, not just a "highest bidder".

N0TZU likes this.
  10. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

During the past two years of downsizing collections if I find a buyer who I feel really appreciates what I'm selling I'll drop my price just to see the item go to a good home. I won't reduce my price to someone looking for this best deal he can get.
    I've also found gun stores and luthier shops to sell my wares on consignment. I prefer this method. I don't have to deal with the looks loos.

K7MH likes this.