ad: QSLcardEU-1

Lookups suddenly increasing at much faster rate

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KC9TC, Dec 2, 2019 at 9:50 PM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Good point. If you suspect this is even a remote possibility, it won't hurt to edit your QRZ bio to say something like, "I am NOT selling anything at present. If you see someone using my call to sell something, do NOT buy. I'll delete this note if I ever offer something for sale".

On second thought, regardless of whether you suspect a scammer has hijacked your call sign, you could add a note to your QRZ bio saying, "Please drop me a quick e-mail telling me what prompted you to look me up on QRZ."

That might give you an answer to the question.

2. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe they're just big jerks on QRZ, and folks do a drive-by to see where they live and what sort of nonsense they spout on their profile?

3. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Or they just went into their profile and raised their count themselves.

It's not a hidden feature - users can insert whatever number they like.

Again: don't put too much faith in "lookups" when the numbers get really high

Dave
    W7UUU

4. KC9TC

KC9TC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, I just noticed that. But it doesn't explain why my lookups went up by about 1,000 over a couple days, and now is apparently back to increasing only in proportion to my operating activity. Not that I consider it a big deal--just wondered if others have experienced this and could explain it.

5. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I see you write articles and stuff so your name is out there. If someone Googles your name maybe the QRZ link triggers the count when it comes up in a search?
    Have you done a recent article or anything that might prompt such an occurrence?

6. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I never looked at my "lookups" until seeing this thread.

K3XR likes this.
  7. N9LYA

N9LYA Ham Member QRZ Page

Just jump on one of these Winlink/Pactor Threads and post a Positive comment in favor , and your lookups jump by thousands..

8. WD8T

WD8T Subscriber QRZ Page

Everyone just stop looking at me!!!

K3XR likes this.
  9. W4EWH

W4EWH Ham Member QRZ Page

If you have a "Pactor" radio, you must own a yacht. That means there are lots of stockstrokers out there who want to invite you to a "wealth preservation seminar!"

For the same effect, buy a pair of earplugs from any pilot shop at any airport.