Lookups suddenly increasing at much faster rate

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KC9TC, Dec 2, 2019 at 9:50 PM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. KC9TC

KC9TC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I wonder if anyone knows why the number of "lookups" would suddenly increase much faster. Until now, my lookups closely tracked my operating activity. Now, I can get 50 or more lookups on a day I haven't been on the air. The only other change that I'm aware of is that I received four of the new operating awards. At first I wondered if I had been a "featured member," but the higher lookup rate has continued for several days now. Is there some way you can achieve a critical mass that causes more people to look up your QRZ page?

2. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

It could be a search engine crawler.

No login is required to view and update the counter and if you refresh the browser multiple times it adds one every time so ... it's probably open to abuse, either intentional or unintentional.

3. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

you is popular is why

W0AQ and KK5JY like this.
  4. W4RAV

W4RAV Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm surprised I get as many look-ups as I do. I haven't been on-the-air much the past couple of years, so perhaps it's all from visiting the 'Zed?

5. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Anything that puts your call sign in front of a lot of hams and makes them curious to know more about you can cause a surge in lookups.

Was there an article about you in QST? On an electronics discussion board? Here on QRZ? Did the President mention you in a public tweet?

It could have been anything. Enjoy your 15 minutes of fame.

6. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Unless you went in and monkeyed with it (easy to do), It could be a slew of return lookups or unique lookups happening. AFAIK.

Mine's been bumped up 150 over unique lookups, from repeat 'customers'.

7. NM7L

NM7L Ham Member QRZ Page

Because you post on QRZ Forums.

KF5FEI and K0UO like this.
  8. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Had so many lookups I had to start wearing pants again. :p

K3XR, W0FS, N5WTF and 5 others like this.
  9. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yep... not only that, but every time somebody mentions any of us with an @ in front of the call, it creates a link that is easy for the crawlers to crawl, right to the page that ticks the counter.

10. WC5P

WC5P Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Santa is checking to see if you have been naughty or nice.

N1VAU and W0FS like this.