Looking for Stealthy Long Wire

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by NN5RR, Mar 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. NN5RR

NN5RR Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi all,

I'm looking for some thin wire with a very non-reflective insulation for use as a stealthy long wire antenna. A while back, I found a wire shop that had some great black stranded wire, but it was a little thicker and stronger than I need in this situation. It will only be 25' long and will have little strain against it.

I tried some magnet wire from Radio Shack, but at early and late daylight hours it lit up like a blazing laser! :)

Suggestions?

Thanks!
    Ross/WI0N

2. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Take the magnet wire and spray paint it with flat black or flat gray

[edit] Long wire? I guess you are planning on using it for 6m and above! ;)

3. AD7N

AD7N Ham Member QRZ Page

regular magnet wire has a very shiny red enamel coating, and I agree "blazing laser" is an appropriate description when the light's just right. ;)

Why not go for broke, and get 28 or 30 gauge magnet wire :)

Taking the coil of wire and spraypaint it a dull blue-gray, and you will have a barely visible thin line.

What bands are you putting this thing on, and how much power? 25 feet is not all too bad loss wise, unless you plan on shoehorning more than 100watts into that. It will really light up like a blazing laser if you put too many watts in it!

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  4. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

When I needed a stealth wire antenna, I unraveled a horizontal output xfmr from an old tube TV.:D
    24 ft is a quarterwave for 30M, works ok if you have a good counterpoise . I have used this kind of antenna for my MFJ9030 on camping trips.

5. K0BG

K0BG Ham Member QRZ Page

If you don't need to much, you can unwind 7 strand copper weld. It is a lot stronger than hard drawn copper. If you want it dill, soak the stuff in some vinegar for a couple of days, and let it dry in the sun. It'll turn almost black!

6. KA9UCN

KA9UCN Ham Member QRZ Page

I don’t know if it is what you want but I have over 500 miles of .006inch 303 stainless wire that is about 10 to 20 LB test I would guess. If it will help. Email me at joeyard@comcast.net and I will send you 1 or 2 hundred foot free. PUT ANTENNA WIRE IN THE SUBJECT LINE. That way I won’t miss it or think it is spam. I will have to find some kind of spool. You can’t solder to it but you can wrap it around a 6-32 screw, 2 washers and a nut for a connection

7. KB5HAB

KB5HAB Ham Member QRZ Page

From experience this month, #14 hookup wire with black insulation, or maybe it was called primary wire, from the auto parts stores is nearly invisible in leafless trees right now. when the leaves come I figure it will get more help at being less visible. I have that with 4 inch long 3/4 inch grey pcv pipe for rnd insulators and camo cord and even with binoculars at 75 feet it is hard to find. I put up a 3 element fan dipole and to help fan the 3 shorter elements I tied the ends of the shorter elements to the longer one above it. I made weights weiging under a pound with 1 1/2 inch pvc pipe with end caps glued on both ends and hung these on the ends of the 2 shorter elements. They show up real well but it is funny to look at. They just seem to be hanging in space. All this to say black insulated primary wire at # 14 through 16 will pretty much dissappear in the trees. My coax runs 50 feet from a white siding house to the trees and it is hard to find once the white siding background stops.
    As a test get some cheap string and dye it black and string it up to see how "invisible" it turns out at your location.

8. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

For only 25' you can use #20-24 solid tinned wire if you soak it first in white vinegar or any phosphate solution (some laundry and dishwashing detergents). That will result in an invisible dull gray.

Carl

9. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Go to a craft store and buy a spool of steel craft wire. It costs about $1.25 for a huge roll and is very strong and light. It also has a green coating that makes it nearly impossible to see so it's perfect for stealth antennas. Oh, you can solder it very easily also. Antennas do not have to be copper...

10. VK1OD

VK1OD Ham Member QRZ Page

No, but using materials with low conductivity and high permeability assures a doubly stealth antenna... not only will no one see the antenna, no one will hear it.

Owen

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.