ad: w5yi

Looking for recommendations for dual band mobile antenna with 3/8" stud

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by K1RDD, Feb 24, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. K1RDD

K1RDD Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm looking to replace my Hustler SF2 antenna with a 2m/440, with a 3/8" stud for my stake mount. I don't want to have to change the mount.

2. N1IPU

N1IPU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Don't know of anything to replace SF2 which would work as well. I would change the mount or add one and go with the cg-144 for 2meters. I know breedlove has a so-239 stake mount probably some others out there. Then the possibilities are open.

K1RDD likes this.
  3. K1RDD

That's what I've been finding, was hopeful someone here had an esoteric option I hadn't found. I've looked at the Breedlove options, and they get very good reviews. I may have to go that route, but will have to wait for the warm weather.

4. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

you might take a bare fiberglass whip and put some wire on it. tinker till you get it. hams do stuff like that...
    then sell them...
    look at any dualband ant,its a 19 in rod with a coil. pretty simple,just add wire to the fbr whip

K1RDD likes this.
  5. K6EEN

K6EEN Ham Member QRZ Page

Opek VU-1512 dual band w/ 3/8x24 stud. Won't be as good as the Hustler SF-2 5/8 wave Buck Buster on 2 meters, but the Opek resonates on 2m and 70cm.

A Tram 1184 would also work, but they are hard to find right now (out of production, maybe).

K1RDD likes this.
  6. K3UJ

K3UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Have you tried the Hustler on 440? Third harmonic, sometimes they work quite well.

K1RDD likes this.
  7. K1RDD

Funny you say that. I was thinking of just throwing the antenna analyzer on it to see.

8. K1RDD

I saw the Opek on the Smiley web site, but was hesitant due to it's size (19"), but for the price it might be worth giving it a shot.

9. K6EEN

K6EEN Ham Member QRZ Page

It's a quarter wave on 2 meters, so very different than the SF-2 Buck Buster. There's a coil/trap which makes the antenna resonant on 440. Not sure the exact electrical design (only major companies like Larsen tell you the design), but it has the physical appearance of most cheap dual-band quarter wave mag mounts, minus the mag mount and with a 3/8x24 thread on the bottom. Behaves about the same as long as you have a ground plane under the antenna for it to work against. Checks out OK on my antenna analyzer. I got mine mail order from RW Antenna Store in New York (ham dealer).

K1RDD likes this.