ad: UR5CDX-1

Looking for large logbook samples (20,000+)

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W0CD, May 15, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W0CD

W0CD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

QRZ Members,

Good evening. I am currently working on developing a logbook, rig control, cluster, etc. application in QT that is targeted for the Linux operating system. I am looking for anyone that is willing to send me their relatively large ADIF logbook so I can test the database input/output and querying performance with larger datasets than what I can provide with my own contact log. If anyone is interested, please let me know.

I have attached a screenshot of the current (unfinished) UI as proof of development.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Surely if you're able to code at that level, you can create a macro in Excel to create random made-up call signs etc. that can be read into an ADIF converter.

Just a suggestion that maybe you'd not considered

Sounds like a fun project. Linux will always welcome new content like this.

Dave
    W7UUU

WF4W, W0CD and KK5JY like this.
  3. W0CD

Yes, and that was my first thought. However, I think it would also be wise to attempt to import data from other users that may be malformed or contain information not necessarily withing the specification.

Thanks for the reply!

WN6U and KK5JY like this.
  4. WW2E

WW2E Ham Member QRZ Page

You can make an endless number of your own simulated logbooks in Microsoft Excel, then convert the Excel files to ADIF. Use Excel's random number generator in combo with other functions to create the simulated data in the required formats (callsigns, dates, times, etc.).

EDIT -- others had the same idea and typed faster than me. :D

5. WW2E

WW2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello? ... Excel can do that, too.:rolleyes:

6. W0CD

Thanks. I do realize Excel is a great tool to simulate logbooks. However, doing so in Excel it any programming environment is limited to the imagination or planning of the developer. Having real world test datasets is hard to replicate.

I certainly appreciate the feedback. Thanks all.

7. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

You're welcome :)

I'm just thinking it might be tough to get folks to just send you "real" logging data. I don't really know why exactly, it just seems a "gut sense" thing that may very well trigger protectionism reactions for folks to release such data to an "unknown quantity" not party to the data.

Just a thought...

Dave
    W7UUU

W0CD likes this.
  8. W0CD

Yup. I completely understand. That’s why I dropped the screenshot as an attachment as a sort of proof. It’s really not that big of a deal. I was just hoping a few hams may be interested in assisting with the project.

Also, with real world data, I could possibly determine whether calculations such as awards processing works correctly by validating with the actual licensed ham.

W7UUU likes this.
  9. W2NAP

W2NAP Ham Member QRZ Page

if you are going to do logging, make the logging able to to contests (like n1mm) and export to Cabrillo

W0CD likes this.
  10. K7GQ

K7GQ Subscriber QRZ Page

check your email

W0CD likes this.