looking for knobs & letters

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by KA0EIV, Oct 2, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
  1. KA0EIV

    KA0EIV Ham Member QRZ Page

    Putting together another ubitx and want to make this one look more professional. Where can you buy knobs for vfo, volume, etc. also looking for letters for marking the front panel controls etc. didn't want to use the sharpie method on this one.
  2. US7IGN

    US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

    You can buy knobs and decals on Ali.
  3. G3EDM

    G3EDM Ham Member QRZ Page

    You can buy a laminator and a kit for making front-panel labels. You will also need a laser printer or access to one, and some software.

    Sorry I am being so vague. I purchased the whole system about seven years ago but never actually tried it out. It is not particularly pricey, electric laminators are a common item.

    I will be interested to see what you come up with!

    73 de Martin, G3EDM
  4. W9GB

    W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

    Electronics Parts :
    Electronics Distributors (Mouser, Digi-Key, Newark, Allied, etc.)
    SURPLUS Stores
    Thousands of Junked CB Radios — Good for DIY Builder Parts.

    Specialized Electronics Retailers (Music Audio larger market):

    Antique Electronics Supply (Arizona)

    Radio Daze (western New York state)

    Transfer Decals available from Hobby Stores, Special Firms, or DIY

    Guide to using water slide decal paper | Inkjet or Laser | Clear or White

    Last edited: Oct 2, 2021
    WA9SVD and KA9P like this.
  5. KC3RN

    KC3RN Ham Member QRZ Page

    US7IGN likes this.
  6. N2UHC

    N2UHC Ham Member QRZ Page

    I have salvaged dozens of knobs from old CB radios, which can be obtained fairly cheaply (sometimes free) at hamfests. They may need a little cleaning up at times, but they give my homebrew projects a professional look.
  7. K0IZ

    K0IZ Ham Member QRZ Page

  8. K0IZ

    K0IZ Ham Member QRZ Page

    Take a look at KG7TR's website. He shows some great examples of using water slide decals. The source he used is apparently no longer available but other brands are (Amazon, etc). If you have a laser printer, buy that type. If ink jet, buy that type. Here's a example from one of my recent projects. The panel is an overlay of 0.040 aluminum to cover up the various mounting screws. P1040737.JPG
    WA9SVD, US7IGN and KP4SX like this.
  9. W9GB

    W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

    Last edited: Oct 11, 2021
    N2UHC and US7IGN like this.
  10. NG1H

    NG1H XML Subscriber QRZ Page

    Many (Most? All?) sign printers can print directly to a metal faceplate on both aluminum and steel. More expensive but also more durable than the transfers.

Share This Page