Looking for Info on Xitex MRS-100 Morse Transceiver

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by AC7ZL, Dec 23, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AC7ZL

AC7ZL Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello-

Recently a friend of mine gave me an interesting piece of equipment--a Xitex MRS-100 Morse Transceiver. This is a microprocessor-controlled Morse encoder/decoder that was intended to connect to a dumb terminal or teletype machine (it apparently supports both ASCII and Baudot, TTL-level voltage or current loop.)

The MRS-100's claim to fame was it's adaptive decoding algorithm; it had the ability to track through the speed changes and irregulator dot and dash weights that human operators are notorious for. Remarkably, this was accomplished, bidirectionally, with just 2K worth of code on a Mostek 3870 8-bit processor.

The device was manufactured in the late 70's and early 80's by Xitex Corporation of Dallas, TX. At $295 for an assembled unit ($95 bucks for a "partial" parts kit), this was an expensive piece of hardware. That's over $1000 dollars in today's cash.

The reason I'm posting here is that I am in search of schematics and/or a user's manual.

So far I've had no luck. Xitex is no more. Aside from a couple of product reviews and advertisements from old issues of 73, Ham Radio, and Byte, I have found no usable technical information on the web.

Back in 2002, somebody posted to a forum here on QRZ indicating that he that had acquired an MRS-100 on Ebay and, like me, was looking for a manual/schematics. At the time, W5NIG directed that guy to Barry Tuttleman's website (http://home.att.net/~btuttleman2/electron.html), where he once traded in manuals. That site is now gone and Tuttleman's email address is non-functional.

Anyone have an MRS-100? Anyone have documentation they'd be willing to share? Can anyone point me to a source of that information?

Pete
    AC7ZL

byte-ad.png

2. W4KYR

W4KYR Ham Member QRZ Page

3. AC7ZL

AC7ZL Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you for your effort, BTW.

Yup. I explored all of those avenues. I captured the advertisements and reviews for future reference (that's how I know what little I know about it) but....no manuals or schematics.

Somebody? Anything?

4. N3IHC

N3IHC Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a scanned copy of the manual. Have tried to upload the files but keep getting a security error. Anyone know how to get around the problem?

5. N8TGQ

N8TGQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Email

6. KG7WGX

KG7WGX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have uploaded JPG and PDF files here without trouble. However, they have not been very large.

Is the security error being generated by your PC or by QRZ.com?