Looking for help--TS 830S no receive

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by N7WR, Nov 17, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I recently purchased a TS 830S and matching VFO from an estate sale with the hope that it would be in good working condition. Unfortunately not the case. Radio looks very clean and everything lights up. When turned on and the AF and RF gain turned up there is "noise" from the receiver. However there is no change when an antenna is hooked up to it. It does not receive signals on any band or any mode. I moved it into another room away from my other radios, and used another transceiver at 5 watts into a dummy load. The 830 will hear a signal from it but nothing else.

Although the original owner had reportedly used the radio right up to the time of his passing I anticipated that a 40+ year old radio might have issues. My intent was, if that was the case, to send it off to one of the acclaimed 830 experts to have the radio restored to good operating condition. The 830S was always a favorite of mine and I would really like to have it as my primary HF radio. What I did not anticipate is that the "experts" either are not taking on any new repairs or their workload is such that they will not accept any new work until Feb or Mar of next year.

I have limited test equipment, limited troubleshooting skills, and somewhat limited eyesight for detail work. My initial thought is to try and trace the problem by beginning with the antenna connector and then working back through the circuitry.....but I'm not sure what to look for if it is not an obvious problem.

Rather than let the radio sit for months before I can ship

2. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

REPLACED BY ANOTHER POST--I'D DELETE THIS ONE IF I COULD