ad: elecraft

Looking for CW beginners for practice 40m

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KJ4RZZ, Jan 27, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KJ4RZZ

KJ4RZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not convinced he was! Didn't seem to be a beginner btw, just the spacing and timing was all out of whack. Like a "Y" would be DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH DIT DAHHHHH DAH ..

Made my brain twitch. At first I was thinking his key was sticking or his bug was having issues but it seemed too consistent.

WA7WJR likes this.
  2. KJ4RZZ

KJ4RZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok so we have a lot of beginners looking for slow CW. Anyone want to schedule a general time and a general freq range for all of us to meet? (somewhere in the high 40m cw area)? Would be a good opportunity for all of us to work each other.

3. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Here is wisdom for those who will understand.

WR2E likes this.
  4. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Great if you want to have secret QSOs or something, but those of us who practice listening to standard code aren't ever going to get anything but gibberish. Maybe those two guys learned code together in that weird way...

5. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm usually in the shack from say 6:30 ET until 7:30 ET. Sometimes earlier, sometimes later, but that's my core operating window.

I do usually tune through 40 meters as general procedure. I'm listening for all y'all.

6. WB5YUZ

Yes you will.

All of us find it easier to copy cleanly sent code, and can copy machine-sent code at higher speeds than poorly sent code.

However, as you listen more and more to actual human beings having live QSOs over the air instead of doing practice with machines, you will find your ability to copy badly sent code will improve greatly.

You will almost certainly be able to do a much better job of copying poorly sent code than FLDIGI or other code-reading app. FLDIGI actually does a very poor job of this.

One of the modern phenomena on the CW bands is to hear a station with machine-sent code calling CQ over and over and over again, and getting lots of loud stations in response, but not being able to copy any of the replies unless the replying station is using machine-sent code, also. The consensus is that what we are probably observing in most of these cases is the inability of FLDIGI (or other code-reading app) to copy any but the most perfect fists.

Last edited: May 27, 2017
    WR2E likes this.
  7. N1BCG

N1BCG Ham Member QRZ Page

I tried software that worked quite well on several super-fast transmissions yet it had trouble with some slower ones that even I could copy. On average, it had the most trouble with QRS.

Is it that timing irregularities are more pronounced at slower speeds and/or are keyboard QSOs quite common?

8. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

I think it's that the faster code leaves less time between elements for the program to pick up noise and scramble the copy.

Also, the agc has less time to recover and results in a better signal to noise ratio... Maybe...

9. WB5YUZ

I think it is a safe bet that most of the QSOs we hear nowadays at fifty or sixty WPM involve keyboards, but that is just a guess.

10. N8DAH

N8DAH Ham Member QRZ Page

Looking for late night skeds, I have RFI from 7am-7pm est thanks to illegal lights.... anything after that I'm good. Looking for 15-20wpm with some space to let the brain catch up.
    I scan 40/80 everyday and some 20.

David