Looking for CW beginners for practice 40m

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KJ4RZZ, Jan 27, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KJ4RZZ

KJ4RZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Wasn't sure if I should ask here, or in the sched forum. (it seems to be all requests for LOTW?).

Looking to rag chew with another slow coder ..

Preferably another Tech who is desperate for air time but still afraid to jump in.

I can do 40m in the evenings when the band allows.

N4CVX, KD4ZFS and KK4YPQ like this.
  2. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'll be glad to QSO with ya Thomas (Tom).
    I'm up near Mobile, Ala., so it's straight across the Gulf for us. I only run about 15 watts, but usually don't have any problems working your area around sunset.
    Send me a E-mail.

Steve / W5BIB

W7UUU and KJ4RZZ like this.
  3. KZ8O

KZ8O Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm about ready to get more cw qsos going but probably too close in Ft Myers.......

4. KJ4RZZ

We can give it a try when you are ready.

5. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

(1) 7050-55 KHz;

(2) The long end of the old Novice band, around 7115 KHz.

You will hear plenty of people calling QRS CQ on 7050-55 KHz most nights.

6. N1BCG

N1BCG Ham Member QRZ Page

This is a great idea, and these HF frequencies are commonly used for slow code (all mHz):

1.818, 3.528, 3.548, 7.053, 7.118, 10.118, 14.048, 14.112, 18.078, 21.048, 21.112, 24.908, 28.048, 28.112

The benefit of chosing one of these is that experienced ops know that their patience and suggestions will be welcome there. If you want to do code practice anytime, there's a very good site at:

http://aa9pw.com/morsecode/

There you can either use the learning methods (Koch & Farnsworth) or do actual practice by copying news headlines from several sources (practice code while finding out what's going on in the world!). You can set the character speed and character spacing separately to completely customize the send for your abilities then bump up the speed as you get better.

W8YPV likes this.
  7. KJ4RZZ

Hey I was trying to find that news tool thanks for that. I couldn't remember where I saw it.

KD2RON likes this.
  8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

KJ4RZZ I'll sked with you. I'm in southern California, though, so it wouldn't work during the daytime. When the sun is setting here, your area bombs in very well on 40m.

I'm a higher speed CW op but never mind slowing down for anybody. Steve W5BIB and I have worked at higher speeds, and it seems he doesn't mind slowing down, either.

Join the party! CW has always been my favorite mode.

9. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm in. QTH New Hampshire. Send me an email if you want to set something up. I'm somewhere in the 12-ish wpm (or less!) range these days.

10. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I am very, very impressed with this site. Everything you need to get to 5 WPM so you can start listening to and having QSOs is on this page.