Looking for contact call-sign

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by W2SAP, Mar 23, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. W2SAP

W2SAP Ham Member QRZ Page

On March 21 at approximately 2300 GMT, I made a brief contact with a French station on 40m (7.189) ... he was working through a number of stations, and when I entered what I believed was his call-sign, nothing came up in the database (F95BH). Moments later, I lost his transmission entirely, figuring that I may have been "riding the grey line".

Was hoping that maybe someone else here in the forum may have made contact with this station, and can help me get the right call-sign and contact info into my log.

Matt (W2SAP)

2. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

It's a moot point in that you can't legitimately consider it a qso when you didn't know the callsign.

Having said that, it's a simple matter to do a retroactive search of the cluster spots that day for permutations of the call you noted, I.e., F9*.*' f95*, etc...

3. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

FM5BH would be a likely suspect.

4. W2SAP

Bill, thank you very much -- seems like it might be a good fit, I'll give it a try!

Matt

5. W2SAP

I appreciate the response ... I'll spend some more time getting comfortable with the search tools that are available.

6. W6OGC

W6OGC Ham Member QRZ Page

Call me an old fuddy-duddy, but I will not call until I hear the station I'm about to call and am confident, approaching certainty, of the call sign.

That said, I worked and logged BY2T during the DX contest, on 80M, running 5 watts to a loop. He had a very good signal. I had to wait my turn. The morning brought the realization that wasn't exactly likely, and I heard from several ops that it was almost certainly 6Y2T, in much more likely Jamaica. What a difference a dit makes! I listened to this guy for 10-15 minutes and am VERY familiar with the Morse Code "6". I'm not waiting for my QSL from BY2T though.