ad: w5yi

Looking for Benchtop Frequency Counter Advice

Discussion in 'Radio Circuits, Repair & Performance' started by N2HUN, Feb 14, 2020 at 12:32 PM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. N2HUN

N2HUN Ham Member QRZ Page

Looking for advice on a new or used frequency counter for the bench, (not handheld) covering around 150 KHz - a Gig or so. Been looking for the past few weeks on EBay, ham radio vendors, on-line swapmeets. Not sure if I should go with something used such as the HP5385A or an Instek, Heathkit, etc. Been looking at new units such as the Victor VC3165, Sineometer VC2000 which appear to come in many different brands but appear the same. Anyone using these new counters, and how do you like them My limit is $130. Maybe best to wait for a hamfest. Thanks for the help.

2. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The HP 5385A is a very good choice. One with relatively recent calibration is a good way to go. If you want the best accuracy (especially if you can't find one that's been recently calibrated) then consider pairing it with the 10 MHz output of an inexpensive GPSDO.

N2HUN likes this.
  3. KA5IPF

KA5IPF Ham Member QRZ Page

The best depends on the accuracy you desire. I use HP equipment that is over 20 years old and still works perfectly. I reference it to a GPS standard for accuracy to .1PPB

N2HUN likes this.
  4. AJ4UY

AJ4UY Ham Member QRZ Page

HP stands for Hewlett-Packard ! The Commercial Electronic Industry uses a lot of HP equipment.

B$K Precision is a good brand.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020 at 10:52 PM
    N2HUN likes this.
  5. N2HUN

N2HUN Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you all for the advice, I found an HP 5385A and am awaiting it's arrival. Glad the manual is available on line to review ahead of time. 73's.