Looking For Antenna Suggestions

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by NT9W, Jun 7, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. NT9W

NT9W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My QTH is out in the country on a hill. I'm within the top 10% elevation for my county at 800 feet above sea level. My neighbors are at least 200 yards away. There are no antenna restrictions where I live. Right now, I'm only using a 20M center-fed dipole and doing fairly well. My rig is an Icom IC-7300 and an Acom 1010 amplifier rated at 700 watts PEP, but easily peaking 800 watts with a 50-watt input. I have an uninstalled 50-foot tower -- one of those galvanized tri-leg TV towers you used to see everywhere. I can add a 10-foot mast to the top if needed.

I definitely want 20M and 10M (for when it opens up great.) 40M is desirable, but I'm not sure I can work a bunch of different bands into this antenna. A directional yagi-type antenna would be a huge plus! My budget is $2500. What would you buy?

2. WA7ARK

WA7ARK Ham Member QRZ Page

What other bands are you curious about?

3. KI8DJ

KI8DJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Tower tribander yagi wire fan dipole for 40 and 17. Probably find a used tower cheap. You could go the hexbeam route but I question the long term durability.

4. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Is that for the entire project including a tower foundation, cabling, rotor, lightning protection, etc; or is that just for the antenna ?

AK5B likes this.
  5. NT9W

I've only used 20M so far, and really like it, but I always hear talk about 10M being great at the peak of the cycle. 40M is probably a given. Being a new ham, I know nothing about things like 12M, 15M, 17M, etc.

6. NT9W

Not really. I didn't add concrete into this budget, and I already have 150' of LMR-400. I can always scrape up funds for a rotor outside of this budget as well. So, let's say $2500 for antenna at this time, with less not hurting a darn thing. LOL!

7. WA7ARK

WA7ARK Ham Member QRZ Page

17m has been the new 10m for the past several years. My favorites are 40m and 17m. I'd opt for a horizontal wire as high as possible for 40m, and a light weight beam on your tower for 20/17m...

AK5B likes this.
  8. KJ4RT

KJ4RT Ham Member QRZ Page

I would do the tower with a tri-bander such as the Mosely TA33 at the top and an inverted vee cut for 3.5 Mhz fed with 450 ohm window line to just outside the shack with a 4:1 current Balun and the rest of the way with low loss 50 ohm coax . That should be good for several bands .

9. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

You have to be careful with a "TV antenna tower" and an HF beam.

Depends on the exact tower design, but many of the old "TV antenna towers" I've seen are too skinny to even mount a rotator inside them, so a rotator would have to go "on top," above the tower. Some are also too small to withstand much in the way of a rotating load that tries to twist the tower into a pretzel. Some are too small to be guyed and were really intended to be bracketed to a house.

But designs varied all over the place.

Do you know the model number of the tower? Or can you post some good, clear pictures of it, along with a measurement of leg-to-leg spacing (center to center of the upright tubing) across one face of the tower?

NN4RH and NG1H like this.
  10. NT9W

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm at work, so the only photos I have are what is on my phone. I think the leg-to-leg measurement was around 11-12". I *don't* have to use this tower, but it should would save me money over a Rohn.

K2CAJ likes this.