ad: KF7PMW-1

Looking for Antenna Installer in NYC

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KD2IYI, Nov 13, 2017 at 2:25 PM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K3QNTad-1
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
  1. KD2IYI

KD2IYI Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm a newly licensed ham in NYC. I'm presently running a (mostly ineffective) 40m ghetto dipole until I can get an antenna up on the roof. Unfortunately, working on the roof is a problem for me as I have balance issues that make that an unsafe proposition. I'd like to find someone I can pay to install an OCF dipole for me. I'd rather that person be a ham or someone experienced with ham installations.

Can someone recommend an installer in the NYC area?

Thanks much.

2. N8CMQ

N8CMQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Are there any ham clubs around you?

When I was younger, I would volunteer my labor for free to hams in need.

Now I need help with my antenna work...

KC8VWM and NH7RO like this.
  3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Do you have access to VHF/UHF FM repeaters?

If so, I'd make this request on a few local repeaters and see what you get.

NH7RO likes this.
  4. W2WDX

W2WDX Ham Member QRZ Page

Also, you may find out (the hard way) that it is important to not simply get an antenna up on your roof without checking with your building management, and the NYC Department of Buildings. Their are very specific requirements in NYC for wire antennas on roofs, and any violation (or god forbid accident) falls on the building owners, as well as the licensed operator. The regulations are not prohibitive, but are specific and need approval and inspection. This is due to numerous accidents that occured in the first half of the 20th century in New York, where every Tom, Dick and Harry decided they wanted to be broadcasters. There were dipole and cage arrays on every building, and many accidents occurred from broken wires whipping through the streets. One case involved the beheading of six people in lower Manhattan. Since then the regulations have been in place on wire antennas.

It took me about a year of design, submitting drawings, and approvals to even begin construction of a simple inverted-V on the roof of my Condo up here in the Bronx. NYC likes Hams and they do accommodate. However, wire antennas can be very dangerous in any heavily urban environment like New York, and the regs are there mostly for public safety. It's easier to put up tower and a big HF yagi, than putting up a dipole in NYC. I still prefer the dipole though, and the trouble will be worth it. Just do some research, find what you need to do and do it. Otherwise, hefty fines and forced removal will occur, mostly likely by the building at your expense.

Funny consequence ... the regulations actually made me build a better, more durable and effective antenna. All steel construction, load rated hardware, and height above the structure will all contribute to better performance and reliability. However, putting up a poor mans dipole is not an option and is just setting yourself up for poor performance anyway, not to mention puts all of your neighbors at risk if the system mechanically fails. It's not something you can kludge or do Hammy Hambone style ... not in NYC.

Oh ... and talk yourself out of OCF. It's a compromise antenna, and one based on single wire feedline anyway modified to "work" on coaxial. While it may present a lower swr on many bands it actual radiation (ERP, which is what matters) is dubious at best. My dummy load is the best multi-band load my transmitters have. Radiates squat. If you can do a true multiband, balanced fed dipole you will be much better served. If you can only do coaxial, fan dipoles will perform much better than any OCF compromise.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017 at 11:39 PM
    NH7RO likes this.
  5. KD2IYI

I own my home, so I happen to know the landlord is okay with the antenna. There are no nearby electric lines, so I'm clear there, and the area of antenna coverage will be over my home and my back driveway, so anything that breaks would land in my garden.

Good suggestion to check on the antenna requirements, though. Will do.

NH7RO likes this.
  6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think you likely have no antenna restrictions there, so you're the boss.

Make it strong, make it safe, and remember even a wire antenna when loaded with ice after a winter storm can weigh more than 100 lbs.:)

7. KD2IYI

All the more reason to keep the wire nice and toasty with RF. :cool:

NH7RO likes this.
  8. W2WDX

W2WDX Ham Member QRZ Page

OK ... so your in the more "suburban" parts of NYC. Queens, SI? However, I think the requirements still apply, so check it out.

You're lucky. I had to do a whole Powerpoint presentation to the Board of Directors of my building, but sold them on the benefits in an emergency for the building. We were without phone, internet or cell coverage for about two weeks after Sandy. Northern Bronx was not a priority for the communication corporations, who needed to get downtown up and running first. So I sold that idea to the Board and they said go for it. Especially since it cost them nothing. So I have an agreement with them. No cell systems ... I have exclusive rights and if they need the money to rent to space to a cell company I have final approval. Fools. Hehe.

So I have a complete VHF/UHF weak signal array & verticals, and the dipole which is going up in the spring. I wanted to get the dipole up during this past summer, but I screwed up on some parts lists submittals to the city and they delayed my building permit. My bad. So I had them hold it till spring. They obliged. Like I said, the city likes Hams. Just make sure you do the right thing and they try to help you along through whatever process there is in place.

I have a deep fear of heights, a true phobia; just watching GoPro videos of free-base jumpers on YouTube gives me the shivers. So if you can imagine me driving anchor bolts into concrete for a 2m vertical mount on a huge ladder leaning against a water tower structure on top of 290' building, on top of a 330' elevation ridge looking DOWN on Manhattan. I was shaking in my boots. But I wanted the installation done right, so ... shakin in my boots it was.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017 at 3:24 AM
    NH7RO likes this.
  9. W2VW

W2VW Ham Member QRZ Page

If they ever build a time machine I'm gonna put you in one and send you back to talk to the 2009 W2WDX.

10. KD2IYI

So this was you??

https://imgur.com/WjV4WKU

KJ4VTH and NH7RO like this.