Looking for an old ARRL beginner's publication

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K1APJ, Sep 27, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
  1. K1APJ

K1APJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

One of my pet peeves is the "Hello-goodbye" QSO, maybe punctuated by a request for some member number or other.

Years ago, perhaps late-1960s, there was an ARRL publication that contained the following text, accompanied by a Gil cartoon.

Be a conversationalist on the air! Don't be one of those tongue-tied infants who only knows CUAGN or CUL.....
    and so on and so forth.

I suspect it was in the back pages of Learning the Radiotelegraph Code, possibly How to Become a Radio Amateur but I have not yet found the version that I remember. It may have been in some other publication too/instead.

Does this ring a bell with anyone?

Thanks in advance

K0UO, W4IOA and K1LKP like this.
  2. W9BRD

W9BRD Ham Member QRZ Page

N2EY and K1LKP like this.
  3. K1APJ

Good read. Interesting how the "cookie-cutter" QSO has changed over the past 90 years.

I must admit, the hello-goodbye bothered me a lot less at 5 wpm; they took about 30 minutes back then.

Just getting old and grouchy, I guess.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
    WA2CKY, K1LKP and K5ABB like this.
  4. K1LKP

K1LKP Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

ANDY,

CHECK OUT THIS LOCATION.

https://worldradiohistory.com/Early-Radio-Hobbyist.htm

73 - K1LKP

5. W9BRD

As for that particular Gil cartoon, maybe this one from page 37 of ARRL's 1972 The Radio Amateur's Operating Manual is what you're looking for:

gil_hello_goodbye_400x320.png

N2EY, K0UO and K1LKP like this.
  6. K1LKP

K1LKP Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

7. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Abebooks is a good source for the old ARRL publications. I've bought some older handbooks and one of my faves as a kid, Understanding Amateur Radio, from them. :)

KD8QBW and K1LKP like this.
  8. K1APJ

Yes, that is most likely the cartoon in question.

I would like to find the exact ARRL pub that uses the text I mentioned. That way, I can quote the ARRL as an authoritative reference when I whine my case!

Thanks again for all your help!

9. W9BRD

Cool. But BTW if in that publication -- as in the framed set of Gil cartoons that used to hang, and maybe still hangs, in the main hallway at ARRL HQ -- the cat(s) associated with Strays are attributed to Gil, that's incorrect. The Strays kitties predate Gil's association with QST, and so far as I've been able to determine were originated by Harry R. Hick, the draftsman who produced those many cool organic-looking schematics in ARRL publications until the early 1970s as well as originating the square-letter QST cover title/logo.

WA1GXC, N2EY and K1LKP like this.
  10. K1APJ

K1LKP likes this.