looking for an inexpensive SWR meter

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by KK4SUH, Jul 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. K8ERV

K8ERV QRZ Member QRZ Page

I think you have the meter connected backwards, which will reverse the calibrate and swr functions. Check the coax connections, be sure the "Antenna" and "Transmitter" or similar cables are correct.
    Or see if you get a higher deflection in the swr position. Calibrate to full scale in the switch position that gives the greater deflection.

It is always possible the meter is defective.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

2. KK4SUH

KK4SUH Ham Member QRZ Page

Well this time it did decided to work for me (trying a different jumper may have helped) the SWR meter on 2 meters showed up as over 3, I'm not sure if that reading is right though as I have been able to use that antenna to hit repeaters 20-30 miles away on 10 watts (although it would explain why my radio was getting a bit on the warm side using only 10 watts.) Most people did report that the antenna I'm using has good SWR readings http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...e=CAT&znt_medium=RSCOM&znt_content=CT2032189#.

3. K8ERV

Good show. I think 3:1 is considered borderline, may be worth trying to improve the antenna match.
    Suggest getting/borrowing a known good dummy load which should show a 1:1 reading or nearly so.

Some rigs will cut back the output power with a high swr to protect the finals.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

4. KK4SUH

Thanks for the help, glad I never ran it at full power, so hopefully my radio is ok. I also plan to take some measurements of the elements of the antenna.

5. KK4SUH

I took measurements of the elements (except for the 2 short ones) and they all came close to 19".

6. K8ERV

Check the swr at the band edges and across, if you find a dip that is the resonant freq. If the dip is not near zero the match section needs adjusting.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

7. KK4SUH

At 144 MHz it was a little more over 3, at 148 MHz it was almost right at 3. Didn't find any dips. Unfortunately, I have not found a way to adjust the vertical element.

8. KK4SUH

9. KK4SUH

Well I did get the J-pole. According to the SWR meter, it had around a 3:1 SWR so I now know that the RS SWR meter is no good for 2M. Now I just need to find a way to eliminate the TV interference when I key up.

10. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

3 to 1 seems high. On 2M you should be able to easily adjust an antenna to 1.5 to one or better. Try a dummy load instead of an antenna, it should show 1.1 to 1.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.