Looking for advice on a new HT...

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KC3RN, Jul 6, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KC3RN

KC3RN Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't use an HT much, and up to this point my cheap UV-5R has been more than sufficient. However, I've recently developed an interest in the FM satellites, and I want to add another HT to my inventory.

I favor Yaesu products, so right now I"m looking at either the FT-65R or the FT-4XR. Strictly analog. Don't need C4FM/D-Star/DMR, etc. The specs on both are fairly similar, and so is the price. Anyone have any opinions on one or the other?

2. KN4YNV

KN4YNV Ham Member QRZ Page

Ft65r is slightly larger. I have big hands and it just felt better. I have used my FT65r in the car with a trunk mounted antenna. Alway rec good audio reports. Easy to program. Fantastic battery life. I can go several days between charges with heavy use. I added an old 30 watt brick amplifier and it's even better. I have avoided putting a mobile rig permanently mounted. I never use the 440 band. The FT25 is the same radio without 440MHz. The only thing I would prefer is a squelch knob instead of a menu selection. Either radio would likely serve you well.

3. K3RLD

K3RLD Ham Member QRZ Page

Consider the TM-D72a. Yes, it's very expensive. But it will get you everything you need to work FM sats in a single transceiver (including APRS sats).

WD4ELG likes this.
  4. N1LOU

N1LOU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I would honestly look at the Anytone 878 UV. Yes its a DMR radio, but it is also a wonderful analog radio. The display is just amazing. I love having my analog channels broken into zones. I also love the ability to be very descriptive on each zone and each channel within a zone. You switch zones by moving the thumb rocker up or down, and then change channels within a zone by the channel knob. I have analog zones for each linked repeater system I normally work. Having DMR in this radio is just gravy. And it is a $200-ish radio. Programming analog channels is a breeze, and you may like DMR radio as well.

5. KC3RN

KC3RN Ham Member QRZ Page

I decided to go with the FT-65R. It should be delivered today, along with the Arrow antenna and programming cable. The sllightly larger size and higher capacity battery is what made me choose that over the FT-4. I thought (briefly) about the D72A, but it's just way too feature-rich for my intended uses. Maybe at some point down the road, but frankly, for the cost, I'd prefer an FT-817/818.

6. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

One important consideration (at least to some) is whether the radio has a jack to allow operation directly from 12 Volts /13.8 Volts DC. If it can ONLY operate off a battery, and needs a "cradle" to recharge the battery, it can be a serious DISadvantage. Fortunately, my H-T's can all be operated from 6 Volts to 12 Volts ( actually, anything below 16 Volts,) so external batteries (SLA, Gel-cell, LiPO4. etc.) can be used for extended operation. Full power, however, is only available with 12 Volts+.

K3RW likes this.