Looking for a speaker for your rig? Try these...

Discussion in 'Microphones, Speakers & Audio Processing' started by KC3RN, Jun 7, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: DLSpec-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Of course a fellow with wood working skill can make a cabinet and that is FB and commendable. I forgot to mention a few more details from my previous post. It's likely that if you find an old cabinet, it will have seen better days, usually meaning that the wood finish will be rough or stained. Some Murphy oil soap, followed by Old English polish will clean it right up. You may only need the polish. It's okay if the cabinet has a bit of "antique stress" to its look as that just adds to the buzzardliness.

I've found most of my paper cone full range speakers at hamfests. Bring along a cheap VOM and inspect the cone for tears. If it is intact, look at the spider between the cone and the magnet (where the coil is) to see if it is undamaged. Then put the VOM across the terminals. If it is 8 ohms, it should read around 5 or 6 ohms DC. A 4 ohm speaker will read around 3 ohms DC. If R is infinite or zero the coil is no good so move on. Most folks don't want these speakers so you can usually get a good 12 inch for a few dollars.